Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use to mark quilts >

What do you use to mark quilts

What do you use to mark quilts

Old 01-07-2015, 11:58 AM

Default What do you use to mark quilts

Am wondering what people use to mark their quilts and what color they use.
Thanks,
Judy
Old 01-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

My go to marking tool is white chalkboard chalk. It can be wiped off with a damp cloth or any residue left will come off when washed. I use a make up large pencil sharpener to get a nice point. With any marking method, always do a test swatch and try to remove it before marking your quilt! [ATTACH=CONFIG]505086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

Usually I need to mark my borders which are dark so I like the powdered chalk wheel by Clover. It brushes off easily. Tried their color ONCE and I would NOT recommend them because they don't seem to come off as easily as the white does.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting.../dp/B001UAJ7C6

I own everything and 99 percent of the time I use the product above. I usually use the white color and occasionally blue or purple.

If I need a tiny line I use-

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Mechani.../dp/B001UAKL4Y

buy the grey lead also and you are set. This line is very thin!

Both of these products will come off with vacuuming, over time and handling the quilt, especially the white.

I hate the pounce and markers.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 01-07-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:10 PM

I use a regular lead pencil. Anywhere I mark usually disappears in the cutting. I don't mark for the quilting.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:55 PM

I use the washable markers, Crayola or CraZart....but never before testing on scraps of each fabric to be marked....haven't come across any issues yet....best part is the mark is there until you wash it out with warm water and detergent....all my quilts get washed before use, so this is no issue.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My go to marking tool is white chalkboard chalk. It can be wiped off with a damp cloth or any residue left will come off when washed. I use a make up large pencil sharpener to get a nice point. With any marking method, always do a test swatch and try to remove it before marking your quilt! [ATTACH=CONFIG]505086[/ATTACH]
This is really cool I would have never thought to use this!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:02 PM

I just got an new sewline making pencil and can't wait to use it, I'm glad someone brought this up because I have such a hard time deciding on what I should use to mark on my quilts.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:30 PM

over tje years i have tried several types of markers, pencil & the chalk wheels. i don't like the wheels as the line too wide & doesnt fit in my home made stencils. never tried the pounce method, looks messy. but mostly chalk. some chalk marking pens have wax in them to stabilize the marks, sometimes their marks are hard to remove. now i use the pens in the links above --the dritz marker w diff colors & the mechanical pencil tho not the fons & porter one.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:27 PM

I avoid marking whenever I can by using either Sulky Solvy or Golden Threads paper and quilting through the design. The times that I do have to mark, my favorite product is Blue Line Eraser. I LOVE this stuff! So far it has come out of every fabric that I've tested.

http://www.bluelineeraser.com/

I do occasionally use Crayola washable markers, but always test it first. I had one that didn't come out, but luckily faded enough it wasn't too noticeable. For dark fabrics, I sometimes use tailor's chalk. I have some Frixion pens, but haven't tried those yet.