Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use? >

What do you use?

What do you use?

Old 09-05-2015, 10:31 PM

Default What do you use?

I was working on a machine applique quilt. I have tried using several different threads, Gutterman, Coats, polyester, and cotton. The problem is the lint!! I am using a small satin stitch and I am concerned about the black lint! Can't be good for my machine. My question (finally), is what type, and make of thread do you quilters use for satin stitching? Is it cotton, polyester rayon?These are large pieces I am doing. Thank you for any advice you may have. This is my first large quilt where I have done so much satin stitch applique.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 PM

For satin stitching, I use a rayon thread. Not sure of the brand. I buy it from the Viking Sewing Machine center inside my local JAF.

Honestly, though, I don't much like the look of satin stitching so I do very little of it & just keep cleaning out my machine on a regular basis. I'm thinking the next time I try it I might use thread conditioner. I've only read about that, though, and am not sure how much it will help.

I'll be interested to see what others post. Perhaps there is a solution that I'm not aware of yet.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

Superior Threads King Tut and So Fine are great Threads which create very little to no lint. Remember lint is not only created by the thread, the fabrics and batting also create some of it. I've used some battings that created so much lint I had to clean my bobbin area 1/2 way through bobbin changes. It's all a ( package deal) all of the materials working together. If you are getting a lot of lint with a variety of different Threads maybe it has nothing to do with the thread.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:42 AM

I don't care for a heavy satin stitch but do mine pretty close, I love the look and performance of silk thread.(100 wt)
Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 AM

I'm making a Hoot's Hollow quilt for a baby with lots of satin stitching and the threads I use are Essential line of threads or the embroidery threads which I've inherited from my husband who's machine didn't hold up. There were lots of thread & my machine loves it. I believe that is rayon.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:14 AM

CKCowl is absolutely right about the fabric also creating lint in the machine, some fabrics more than others. I know this because I'll find puffs of green lint from green fabric in the bobbin, and I'm using white thread.

That is not to say that I have not had some threads create lint problems. Creative threads was the worse. I finally switched to Aurifil 50wt and I now have very little lint.

Mettler 60wt and Bottom Line from Superior threads are other threads that I've used with very little lint.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I don't satin stitch often enough but I use Mettler silk for most of my sewing and applique. I have been using this new thread from Superior called Nature Color which has a nice shine and it polyester by Superior threads.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 AM

Aurifil creates the least lint for me.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:24 PM

I use Mettler 30wt for the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:25 AM

Anything that is of good quality is fine to use in my book. The minute one starts tonuse cheap quality of anything, one is sorry.