Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Use? >

What Do You Use?

What Do You Use?

Old 11-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Default What Do You Use?

what is the best thing to use,to get printed blue pattern off of cross stitch blocks?
I have my Mothers blocks, and have been putting them together, as I wash the quilt I am still seeing
blue lines. Any help.. I have tried - clorox bleach pen. for small area maybe. But if the only thing,, I got a lot of work ahead. this is a full size quilt.
thanks everyone..
Old 11-06-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Do not use the bleach pen; it weakens fibers. Also do not use hydrogen peroxide, for the same reason. The marks are often not remove able, although they may fade over time with washings. There is charm in those old marks; I would just leave them as is.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:38 PM

I have a quilt on my bed that my beloved Aunt Mary made over 30 years ago and it was washed many times while she had it and umpteen times since I have had it and the blue marks for the cross stitching and the quilting lines are still on it. Very faintly. I LOVE the quilt anyway.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:56 PM

They are part of its history. I would leave them.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Back when those were printed it was believed the floss would cover them. They are permanent.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 PM

Usually soap & water, but another thing that I've found works on the rare occasion I can't get them out with a simple soak is hairspray. It's great for all types of ink. Nothing special -- just cheap drugstore brand hairspray. I spray it on, let it set for a bit & if I can I gently hand agitate before tossing it back in the wash.

But I would try it on a small inconspicuous spot first with them being your mother's blocks. I've never tried it on anything more than 20 years old, or so precious a memory.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Leave them as the others have said.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30 AM

Depending on age, in my opinion, they may be permanent. Is the quilt completed? What has worked for me in the past when doing those type projects, is to use liquid dish soap. Sometimes some hand rubbing the areas together has been needed. I have generally only had 'tops' to deal with at that point and could usually manage them in the sink. If larger, use the bathtub. Fill with warm water/dish soap. Let soak for a bit, do some rubbing if needed. After wringing out as much water as possible, I lay towels then the piece on top and roll to absorb as much extra water as possible. Then air dry on an indoor clothes drying rack. If after all of that the marks are still there - enjoy the charm and memory of having your mom's work.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Get you some Oxiclean for laundry and make the solution stronger than what they call for. I would put the quilt in my washing machine and about six big scoops of OxiClean or at least 12 if the scoop is small and wash in on gentle cycle. Once the soap and oxiclean have dissolved after washing a few minutes, stop the washer and let it soak for several hours and then finish washing the quilt. I have found a strong solution of Oxiclean has helped me out so many times it is unbelievable. The stuff isn't cheap, but it sure does the trick if you make it much stronger than what they call for. So far it hasn't discolored anything I have used it one and believe me I use it on just about anything and everything. Good luck.

themachinelady
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 AM

I also like Oxiclean. I have blue embroidery thread bleed. I soaked it twice in oxiclean.. looks pretty good now