Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what do you use to transfer patterns onto dark background fabric?

what do you use to transfer patterns onto dark background fabric?

I am gathering fabric to begin an Affair of the Heart quilt...will be hand applique-ing onto black kona cotton. What have you had the most success with to transfer patterns to dark backgrounds? Thanks so much, and wish me luck! :-)

Blog Entries
    I am also doing an Affairs of the Heart quilt on black and I am using a Clover tracing paper "Clover Charcopy" which is working well. Good luck with your quilt, it is well worth the effort. Are you doing yours the size they are in the book or are you enlarging the patterns?
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Did you have a chance to check out the FMQ challenge for the month? http://www.sewcalgal.blogspot.ca/201...torial-by.html

Saral white transfer paper, used it in an applique class about 3 years ago, never finished the project, lines are still there

woody-I am going to do a few trial blocks-thougth I would start with the size in the book. What size do you recommend? I most likely won't be doing the really wide border.

thimblebug-yes, I watched mrquilt's video! Looks almost too good to be true! :-) Have you used his toulle (sp?) method? I don't recall ever seeing a silver sharpie anywhere!

dolphyngyrl-I will look for transfer paper...makes me a ~little~ nervous that your markings are still there after 3 yrs!

Blog Entries
    I enlarged the patterns in the book by 142% which brought them up to around a 10"block ( yeah call me chicken LOL)
    It's my first needleturn applique and some of the blocks have lots of itsy bitsy pieces.
    I did block 5 first as it looked pretty easy and have now completed block # 2, # 7 and # 9. They really are worth the effort, I am using bright batiks on black.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

That is a beautiful quilt, you two will have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck and let us see how it is turning out for you.
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

LOL....I agree....I am a bit of a chicken myself! 7" sounds like a decent size until you start looking at those teeny pieces! I will probably try for 8 or 9" blocks....I plan on hanging this on a wall, and I don't want it too large when completed.........here's hoping my "creative ADD" is more under control now that I am a grammy!

Blog Entries
    I am on block 12. Making the size in the book. I have tried several transfer papers and the Clover works best for me. Hope you have as much fun doing this one as I do.
    Joy

Blog Entries
    For marking on dark fabrics my first choice is tailors wax since it irons out of 100% cotton. If you need more detailed lines then my second choice is berol pencil silver. It is an architects pencil and available at office supply stores.
    Sally Dolin -The Lazy Quilter
    Gammill Classic+
    Rock Island, IL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast