Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you use on your longarm?

I was interested in knowing what type of tension grips everyone uses on their longarm? Are you happy with them? Do they get in the way of quilting? Where did you buy them?
    I am looking for new tension grips and needed your advice.

Thanks for your input :-D

i use the ones that came on my GMQ Pro frame, if i don't have enough room on the sides i have made some short side leaders to give me 5 more inches

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    i use the ones that came on my GMQ Pro frame, if i don't have enough room on the sides i have made some short side leaders to give me 5 more inches
    I have the ones that came with my TL18LS and they get in the way whenever if I don't have a good 5" extra on each side. I'm interested in the responses here too. Side Leaders is an interesting solution I 've never thought of, how do you attach to fabric?

Banned
    I use Feather Light Clamps.

I use 2 featherlight clamps attached to bungee cords on each side with both frames I have used--B-Line Studio originally and now a SuperQuilter ProFlex. They only get in the way if I try to skimp on the backing and then only when I'm really close to the edge of the top. I have only used side leaders when I had a really small baby quilt loaded on a 12' frame. The bungee cords weren't long enough so I pinned some 12" strips of muslin to each side of the baby quilt backing and clamped onto the muslin.

Because of the arthritis in my hands I couln't use the grips that came with my HQ. I went to one of our local big ACE hardware stores and found much smaller clamps that I can use. I jury rigged them with bias tape and velcro.

It seems HQ now has easier to use side clamps but right now they are only on the new machines. Darn it.

ali