Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does edge to edge mean to you?  Where do you stop your design? >

What does edge to edge mean to you? Where do you stop your design?

What does edge to edge mean to you? Where do you stop your design?

Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 AM

Default What does edge to edge mean to you? Where do you stop your design?

I have a computerized machine. This was a recent discussion at the longarm group (that I belong to) meeting. Some say that you should make sure that the e2e design stops 1/4 inch from the edge so the quilting does not run under the binding. I have not had a problem with the e2e design that goes all the way to the edge of the quilt or even slightly over the edge of the quilt - causing issues when attaching the binding. True a little of the quilting design does disappear, but I feel that it does not detract from the overall quilting design.

I would like to find out what you do about e2e designs - over the edge of the quilt or stop 1/4 to 1/2 half inch from the edge?
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 AM

I usually stop within a 1/2" of the edge.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a computer so when I am doing an E2E panto I am working from the back of the machine. I go all the way to the edge, in fact I usually go off the edge a bit. I think most hand guided people do. I have a clear plastic that I keep over my panto and mark it with masking tape so I know where to stop. My mark is even with the very edge of the quilt.

The only drawback I can see happening is sometimes, if your design loops out then back in, you can fold over the very edge of the quilt with stitching and I have had that happen when I first started. I simply removed those few stitches that did that. Now when I baste my edges my basting stitch is more like 1/8" from the edge instead of 1/4. It helps stop that fold over issue. I don't think quilting all the way to the very edge detracts from the design as that is the nature of E2E designs, especially pantos (as opposed to an all over free hand E2E) as most are designed that way. I also feel that the binding will help anchor the stitches. In the case of a panto, I would much rather have the quilting disappear under the binding than come to an abrupt stop if the quilter inadvertently had the machine set to end the design too soon. Additionally, some people like to have a larger than quarter inch binding. While 1/4" is the norm how do we know if the client is going to do a larger binding? If they do then the quilting is going to disappear under it even if the Longarmer set the machine to stop 1/4" from the raw edge.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

If it is an all over design without a specific pattern, then it wouldn't bother me if the binding covered the edge. If the design was specific then it would bother me that the binding would cover the edge of the design/ picture.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I would think that a lot of it depends on the design and personal preference. Straight line quilting can easily run off the edge while circular pattern would lose part of their integrity when it lands under the binding. On the other hand, some people find that acceptable.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:58 AM

I would want my design to go under the binding, not matter which kind I had.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I would want my design to go under the binding, not matter which kind I had.
Me, too. - - -
Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I have always gone to the edge or a bit over.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 AM

Depends on the design. I just finished a "modern wholecloth" where I went all the way to the edge (and beyond). Yes it cut off some of the design, but that was the point. Other times, say I am doing feathers in the border, I leave enough space for the binding so the side of the feather isn't caught up in the binding.

But I've never had an issue with the quilting stitches under the binding at all other than from a looks standpoint!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I as a customer would want it to past the edge. With quilting on a DSM, I always started off the edge and ended off the edge.