Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Does Your Local Fabric Shop Do In-house Besides Sell Fabric? >

What Does Your Local Fabric Shop Do In-house Besides Sell Fabric?

What Does Your Local Fabric Shop Do In-house Besides Sell Fabric?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Whether it’s a LQS or Chain Store, do fabric shops around your area offer any other services or products besides just fabric? I’m talking about the walk-in shops. I know some shops sell and/or repair sewing machines and/or vacuum cleaners, some do in-house longarm quilting, some give quilting and/or sewing lessons, others do alterations, rent formal wear, etc.

We do mending, alterations, machine repairs, and ironing at ours. A shop in the next town sells and services sewing machines and vacuum cleaners. A shop in another nearby town offers quilt classes and longarm quilting. We’re all in small cities/towns or rural areas. Most of us wouldn’t be around if we only sold fabric.

I’m just curious how many shops that you know of offer other products or services besides fabric, and what they are.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

You forgot to add in all the notions and toys we quilters like to purchase!

You've pretty much covered what I've seen. Here's a couple extra ...

* classroom rentals for your own use, whether for sewing or other purposes
* pizza party nights, like a class where they eat pizza for supper, and quilt all night (and all night if you have the stamina)
* commission work -- shop owner does commission sewing and some pretty incredible work, at that! Talk about inspiration to the shopper!

And please ThayerRags, do tell us about your ironing service ..... is this for finished quilts? clothing? or? I'm thinking you might have something more commercial than the average home-style iron?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Our local quilt store does long arm quilting -- and is a flower shop. Love going in there! Smells so pretty :)
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 AM

My most local LQS does long arming, rents LA machines by the day and sells HQ's. Her husband also does sewing machine repairs but he is self taught so I wouldn't take my machine there for repairs, I prefer to drive a few hours to an authorized dealer.

Another shop is in a bit more touristy area and does nothing but sell fabrics (a very nice selection of quality brand names). She says she sells almost nothing to the locals but sells enough during the summer to keep her shop in operation all year.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
And please ThayerRags, do tell us about your ironing service ..... is this for finished quilts? clothing? or? I'm thinking you might have something more commercial than the average home-style iron?
Clothing, drop off, pick up service. Everything ironed by hand, on an antique metal ironing board (one of the old solid ones) with a Rowenta Steam Iron. We go through about one iron per year. I press pant leg hems after I’ve hemmed them, but she does most of the clothing ironing. I do starch some batches for her when I’m needed.

Our local Cleaners use presses, so we offer hand ironing. Some people prefer hand ironed clothes. We do most of the alterations and mending for the Cleaners too.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Sell notions and books, offer classes, sit n sews, demonstrations, offer free use of the classrooms for quilty gettogethers, act as drop off point for machine repair and scissors sharpening (don't know about the quality, haven't used either service, but seems like a great idea, you've got 2 chances to sell to the customer, one at drop-off the other at pick-up), send out newsletters describing sales and classes, sells thread...that's all I can think of right now
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM

One of ours use to have a yarn shop, ice cream shop and a candy store... was yummy to go there.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Some extras I just thought about, at other LQS in my area (somewhat area!!!!)

* gifts and gift cards, purses, boots, mats, etc. (some quilty related, most not)
* three different Menno/Amish fabrics are sidelines with their general store, hardware store (tucked away in the back, where most never know it is, is the fabric) and a bake shop at another!
* knitting supplies and instruction
* cook ... this one has a stove right in the store!!1, For courses, they cook lunch in/on it and/or bake muffins!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
One of ours use to have a yarn shop, ice cream shop and a candy store... was yummy to go there.
ooooooooooh the ice cream would have a certain attraction to moi! :)
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM

I haven’t seen any Fabric Shops in combination with a Flower Shop, or Candy Store, or Bakery yet. They all sound like neat ideas, and it should make them feel “homier”, like the old General Stores were.

My wife rejected my idea of putting a little Bait Shop in our fabric store. And it wasn’t just NO either. I knew that she didn’t like worms, but I told her that the gentle hum of the aerator on the Minnow Tank might really be relaxing for her....

CD in Oklahoma