Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the downside to Muslin???

There is another thread going called "Muslin" and everyone seems to say muslin isn't that great. I asked there what the downside to muslin is and haven't really seen the question answered. So... I thought I would ask in a seperate thread. I use muslin all the time. For those of you that do not, my question is WHY???

Blog Entries
    I love muslin. The quilts I love the best are scrappy and pulled together with muslin.

Blog Entries
    I use muslin all the time for my backing. Maybe it looks boring, but it gets the job done. Some of my eariler quilts that I used the cheaper muslin on have that old wrinkled look after washing, but I like that.

muslin is cotton. wash it to control shinkage. Nothing is wrong with muslin.

Blog Entries
    Muslin is great for some things. I usually prefer a more colorful back, but I have used muslin several times.

Muslin is great for quilting practice. I put a piece of batting between two pieces of cheap muslin and practice different quilting patterns.

Power Poster
    Muslin comes in different qualities.

Some is a lot nicer than others.

The only down side I have with muslin is that is shrinks more than regular cotton, especially Kona muslin from Jo-anns. I just wash in hot water, dry and iron (press). I use it in quilt blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    The only down side I have with muslin is that is shrinks more than regular cotton, especially Kona muslin from Jo-anns. I just wash in hot water, dry and iron (press). I use it in quilt blocks.
    I bought a whole bolt and washed it in hot water, pressed iit and folded it. I use it for backgrounds, backs, lattice, or whatever strikes my fancy. I've not ever had a problem with it. That's why I started this thread, because it seems there are so many people that frown on it. I just wanted to know why. Thanks for all your feedback.

Blog Entries
    The quality of muslin I have found around my area is not good. That is the only reason I don't use it. It is just too thin. If it was better quality I would definitely buy it.

I use it alot too. I just but the better muslim, some of it is prett see through, so I wouldnt want it for a quilt!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast