Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is Egyptian

Blog Entries
    Anyone know what 100% Egyptian Combinded cotton is. I bought some men's shirts and there are 3 that are made of this cotton. How does it differ than !00% cotton? Do you think it will shrink or stretch more or less than 100% cotton? I've washed all the shirts and they look great.

Blog Entries
    Egyptian cotton is supposed to be high quality cotton. No real content difference between Egyptian and domestic. The difference between shirting cotton and quilting cotton is the weave and threads per inch. It's OK to mix quilting cotton and shirting. Just wash the quilting cotton first.

The Egyptian cotton is a long staple cotton. It is used to make a very smooth and long-wearing fabric with a high thread count and would be lovely for quilts. Quilt shop cotton might appear coarse next to it, you will want to compare, rather like a fine sheet vs. muslin.

It is 100% cotton--the difference is in the length of the fibers from the boll.

Blog Entries
    I have seen Egyptian cotton in sheets from 300- to in the thousands

Blog Entries
    I buy men's used shirts that say 100% Pima cotton. It's the best cotton fabric you can find.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    FYI. egyptian cotton rarely comes from Egypt. Superior Threads discusses this on their site I believe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    The Egyptian cotton is a long staple cotton. It is used to make a very smooth and long-wearing fabric with a high thread count and would be lovely for quilts. Quilt shop cotton might appear coarse next to it, you will want to compare, rather like a fine sheet vs. muslin.

The longer staples allows the thread to be spun thinner.
    http://www.canegy.com/id70.html

Egyptian cotton sheets are beautiful,they are the only ones I use. Downside is that they need ironing, but I feel well worth the trouble. I like at least 400 thread count. Very luxurious

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron

The longer staples allows the thread to be spun thinner.
    http://www.canegy.com/id70.html
    Glassquilt love you avatar what is the pattern? Did you make it? Thanks for the post. Very interesting. My first feel of Egyptian Cotton was when I stayed on a couch at my brothers. Loved it. Wish I could afford to buy it. BrendaK