Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd? >

What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd?

What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Default What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd?

I love designing and assembling the quilt tops, but my small machine makes the quilting process a real chore (plus I only know how to straight stitch quilt, not FMQ yet). I have a top I would like to get FM quilted. Questions: (1) How do I find a qualified FMQ expert (I live in Tulsa, OK), and (2) what is a fair price for this work? I am guessing it depends upon the size of the quilt and the complexity of the FMQ design used? My top is 95" x 95", and I think a simple swirl FMQ pattern would be my choice. Should I go to my LQS and ask for referrals? Thanks for any information!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

There is a QB list of long armers but asking at your LQS is good too. Ask to see samples of their panto graphs and costs. Also ask about their waiting times if time is an issue. There are some posts on QB on preparing your quilt top for the long armer. Other things to consider are what batt, thread and backing the long armer likes or how much it will be if they supply it.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 PM

I had a quilt FMQ'ed, it is 111" x 111" and it cost $200.00 . That price included the batting and it was done in a simple swirl.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Quote . "I am guessing it depends upon the size of the quilt and the complexity of the FMQ design used? My top is 95" x 95", and I think a simple swirl FMQ pattern."

Well you are right on both accounts Jeannie. Also you need to take into account the batting and backing cost and whether or not it is a specialty thread you desire it quilted with. Most quilter's web sites have listed as to what different services are and the additional cost.
Then if you are mailing it off the post office will get their share too.

I would think about all this before contacting the quilter and have ready your answers. They are super busy and every customer is important. Some great quilter's are backed up for a year! I would ask the turn around time, for sure!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM

There are a lot of things that play into price, size, complexity, whats included(batting, thread, binding, etc.) experience, regional pricing. most charge by the inch
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Thanks nyelphaba--that is in the range of what I was expecting so that helps a lot.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks Tartan. I will check out the QB list too, didn't know there was one!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

I think this is not too far from you and sounds very reasonable - http://www.persimmonquilts.com/about.html I too ONLY make the top and never have done LAQ myself. I LOVE my LAQ and she has lots of patterns, allows me to bring my own batting and is so good at helping select patterns and thread! Good luck! I had a 110 X110 done and provided my own batting and it ran about 180.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM

Thanks Racerh for the referral to persommonquilts, you are right, she is not too far from me! Her website even mentions picking up items at the local quilt shop I use. I will contact her.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM

I sent you a PM with some info.