Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What features do you actually use on your sewing machine? >

What features do you actually use on your sewing machine?

What features do you actually use on your sewing machine?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Ninnie

Mostly I just use a #12 quilting needle and a thimble!

Ninnie
Ninnie, no wonder your quilting is so fantastic! That's not a needle, it's a fairy's hair! :D

K x
I do tend to bend a lot of them! :lol: :lol:

threading them can drive you to a glass of wine!

Ninie
Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Ninie
And after the wine you get more than one chance to thread it cos you see double! :lol:

K x
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n

Ninie
And after the wine you get more than one chance to thread it cos you see double! :lol:

K x
:lol: :lol: quilted a whole square once fore I realized ther wern't no thread in that there needle!

Ninnie
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Ninnie - you're my kind of quilter!!!

K x
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 AM

*I RARELY use the regular presser foot for piecing or quilting - much prefer the open-toe foot .
*I NEVER use 1/4" foot - prefer to move the needle and have open-toe foot really 'grab' the fabric.
*I LOVE Pfaff's IDS instead of having to attach an even-feed or walking foot - means I can use ANY fancy stitch I want to use - absolutely no limitations.
*I LOVE the needle threader. For those of you who don't have one, there's a separate needle threader for Pfaff sergers you can buy for about $3 that is a small miracle. Works on ANY needle. Better than floss needle threaders.
*Stitch-in-ditch foot has lots of uses beyond s-i-d: move the needle position to top-stitch, stitch 1/4" from seam; join 2 pieces of batting;more that I can't think of right now
*the warning light about bobbin about to be empty
*I wish I had a knee-lift like the Bernina!
*the thread cutter is handy when I remember to use it!

*I'm using my Pfaff 2170 for paper piecing for the FIRST time, and the automatic presser foot DOWN is driving me NUTS. How do I stop it from doing that so I can position the needle where I want it?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:00 AM

On my machines, I've used the following:

1. 1/4 seam stitch, with my edge foot. Makes piecing a breeze.
2. Alphabet stitches with the memory. I use it to label the backing of my quilts.
3. Needle up/down. Good for piecing multiple items sewn one after another.
4. Walking foot and guide. For SID quilting.
5. Bobbin winder.
6. Satin stitch. Great for fixing holes in sheets, etc. from the dog's nails.
7. Thread cutter.
8. Automatic button hole foot. Creates the perfect size button hole, based on the button.
9. If I ever do any fused applique or crazy quilting, I'll try out some of the decorative stitches. Still on my to do list.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I use all of the features on my machines, I guess I just like playing with my toys :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-26-2009, 11:25 AM

I just use straight stitch, though I have a singer touch and sew that I want to use the decorative stitches.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:31 PM

On my Bernina 153QE, I use some of the decorative stitches that are pre-loaded but have NEVER downloaded any of the other stitches available. Actually, I never even looked at them to see what is available :oops:

The knee lift thing didn't lift my skirt. Old dog, new trick, I guess. I keep thinking I should force myself to use it more so that it will be second nature, as I often hear how great it is, but haven't done that yet, either.

LOVE my 1/4" foot, that is almost always on my machine. Recently did a few bags and had to use the guides on the plate - wow, that took some thought. Although I started w/ garment sewing some 40 years ago (hey, I was a little girl!), I haven't done that in many years, and so haven't used the lines. I have the zipper foot, but put generally put zippers in bags using a regular foot.

Needle down is a must for me. Sometimes use the walking foot, as well as the grid guide. I have somehow gotten my needle threader out of alignment twice now, don't bother having it adjusted any more. So far, I can thread the needle w/out trouble but guess some day I won't be able to and will have to have it fixed.

Embroidery doesn't do a thing for me, so no desire for that. I think I'd like the BSR on the new Berninas, but have no burning desire and not enough $, lol. I've heard many times how much easier that makes FMQ. I can send several tops for quilting, though, for what a new machine would cost, and am not sure I'd like doing it enough anyhow. I don't want to buy a pricey machine to find that I don't like doing what I thought I had to have it for. How do you decide to spend that kind of money if you haven't done it? And if you buy it and don't like it, then what? :shock:

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM

Machines make button holes?? REALLY????? lol :roll: