Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Was The First Quilt You Made? >

What Was The First Quilt You Made?

What Was The First Quilt You Made?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 AM

My first quilt was the pattern "Clay's Choice" in blues and beiges about 35 years ago for my DH's sister's wedding. I think that I had found the pattern and instructions in a Better Homes and Gardens Magazine. I had sewn since I was little, but had never made a quilt before. The only direction I had was what was in the magazine. I am still self-taught.

That first quilt had some broadcloth, some pieces of sheets, some fabric of unknown origin, etc, but it really did look very good when it was new.

For some crazy reason my sister-in-law did all of her wash using clorox bleach and it now the quilt looks just about all white and ready to fall apart from so much bleach. It make me very sad to see it and see what has happened to it.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Nine patch and rail.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 AM

My first quilt is a queen size sampler. When I stopped at the LQS and saw this my eyes lit up. I was told I could finish this quilt in 6 weeks. Nobody said anything about quilting it. So I went to the classes and made all the blocks and just about passed out when they talked about quilting the thing. Every day when the first daughter went to school I would sit and quilt. I finished it and used it on our bed for a number of years. The quilt is still being used 28 years later. That got me "hooked".
Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 AM

The first quilt i made was for my daughter when she was five years old. I used scraps from clothing I had made for her (lots of bears)and no particular pattern, just sewed four inch squares together till it was big enough for her bed. I posted a story about it a while back that she brought it to college with her all ratty and with holes in it. She's 25 now and I know she will never part with it. I want her to bring it over so I can fix some of the holes (found the same bear fabric at a church sale) and save it from falling apart.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kellie G
My first finished quilt was a bargello quilt in blues for my cousin who had a baby boy. That boy is now 15 years old next month. I am told they still have the quilt tucked away in the top of a closet.
A bargello! wow, I'm impressed.I love those..
Mine was a basic nine patch.But, I love the fabric in it..
Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM

My first quilt was just blocks, made of remnants from clothes I had made for myself and my boys (certainly not all cotton!). It has 6 cat panels, pictures of cats on white background. It was tied with yarn. Until the puppy chewed a hole in it recently, it has lasted very well for 20+ years. I plan to repair the hole as best I can.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 AM

My first quilt was a sampler. It was hand done, and I wanted to master the points. And make different designs. It was a wall hanging, and then I ended up making matching pillows. That was 1982. I still love sampler quilts.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM

I started my first quilt in high school. It's an around the world, but in blocks. It's made from favorite leftover fabrics I bought at the time to make shirts and dresses. I haven't worked on it for years mostly because I haven't been home much, but also because in my naivety I choose such a thick batting that I have to hand quilt it. I thought of sending it out but I've done too much of it to switch now. I recently read about a woman who took 55 years to complete her quilt so I don't feel so bad anymore. Someday it will be finished!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 AM

Mine was a Log Cabin in purples as a Christmas present to my Daughter.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Mine was a Yellow Brick Road, which is what my eldest daughter is starting with. She just finished cutting... I am so excited for her (and me - another quilting buddy)...