Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What foot do you like best for FMQ on SInger 15-91? >

What foot do you like best for FMQ on SInger 15-91?

What foot do you like best for FMQ on SInger 15-91?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 AM

I scored a 1935 Singer 15-91 from my Grampa who used to fix sewing machines. It sews great and I am hoping to do my FMQ on it. What foot do you like best on a 15-91for FMQ and why?
Help me spend money!

On a side note, I have a Pfaff QE2048 that I just got back from a servicing (to the tune of $98) and found out last night my dang feed dogs are disengaged and now won't drop. I am highly irritated and they will be hearing from me first thing Tuesday AM!!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM

I have 2 of them and you don't need a foot to FMQ. Just take off the foot that on there, and make sure the presser bar lifter is in the down position (you have to sew with it down because that's what controls the tension in the needle thread. The feed dogs drop by turning a thumb screw under the machine. Sorry, can't help you spend money on this endeavor! Save it to buy more vintage machines :thumbup:
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I have 2 of them and you don't need a foot to FMQ. Just take off the foot that on there, and make sure the presser bar lifter is in the down position (you have to sew with it down because that's what controls the tension in the needle thread. The feed dogs drop by turning a thumb screw under the machine. Sorry, can't help you spend money on this endeavor! Save it to buy more vintage machines :thumbup:
Really? Recently I saw a youtube video of someone FMQ without any presser foot. I had never seen that before. Lots of people thought it would be too dangerous to sew your finger. But, when I am FMQ, I have my hands on the fabric on both sides guiding the piece. Even with a presser foot on, my fingers don't come close to touching it. Hmmm, will have to try that. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM

I too don't use a pressure foot on my 15, works just wonderful without one! I wouldn't spend the money on one!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Really? Recently I saw a youtube video of someone FMQ without any presser foot. I had never seen that before. Lots of people thought it would be too dangerous to sew your finger. But, when I am FMQ, I have my hands on the fabric on both sides guiding the piece. Even with a presser foot on, my fingers don't come close to touching it. Hmmm, will have to try that. Thanks.
:lol: Remember, we're working with "vintage" machines. Back in the day they weren't thinking about safety--it was up to you to use common sense! My new sewing machine won't move without some kind of foot attached or thread for that matter! :lol: