Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is a good size to make a wall hanging?

Blog Entries

What is a good size to make a wall hanging?

I want to make a simple wall hanging for someone. Hopefully the picture shows up. I want this logo to be in the center of it. So what would be a good size? I want to give it to the woman that does soup benefits for the local food bank. I was thinking that it could be hung up near the entrance to the benefits. I am hoping that I can find someone who has an embroidery machine that can possibly embroider this onto a piece of fabric. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

the size would depend on where you plan to have it hung- wall hangings come in lots of sizes- some are really, really big- others really, really small. you seem to know where you want it to be hung- so base the size on that spot.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Gave this some thought after looking at it for a good while. I would make it vertical...18" wide including sashing and borders by about 4' long and i would use only the bowl and the steam - just like the picture in the logo but i would ditch ALL the words including the "soup" on the bowl itself. Each block would be about 12" wide with the bowl and steam part applique'd on. i think it could be really cute w/ the right fabrics.. maybe each bowl can be slightly different w/ colorful sashing and possibly a pieced border or simple prairie points...yep. that would go fast and have more impact and could live on more than something specifically advertising the event.
    mea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
    Gave this some thought after looking at it for a good while. I would make it vertical...18" wide including sashing and borders by about 4' long and i would use only the bowl and the steam - just like the picture in the logo but i would ditch ALL the words including the "soup" on the bowl itself. Each block would be about 12" wide with the bowl and steam part applique'd on. i think it could be really cute w/ the right fabrics.. maybe each bowl can be slightly different w/ colorful sashing and possibly a pieced border or simple prairie points...yep. that would go fast and have more impact and could live on more than something specifically advertising the event.
    Oh mea, Ivthink you have a good idea. The woman that puts it on, makes ceramic bowls that are given to the people to eat their soup in. Restuarants donate homemade soups. I had Dill Pickle soup. It was really good. Its similar to potato soup with grated dill pickles in it.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Mea12: 18" wide, 4" long, 12 inch blocks? Hmmmmm. Not following you on these dimensions. Confusing.and not adding up.

i would applique the soup bowl and steam logo. Minimal words...just the name of the event. Frankly, the thought is there but if it is going to hang in a public space, not sure that I would put a lot of effort into this. It just might "walk". I WOULD make one to give to the person who heads this event for their peronal home memento. Just my 2 cents. Things have a way of disappearing in a public space. Not trying to be negative...just cautious.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

You might consider making this in two parts if it is an annual event.
    Make the top logo separate to be reusable year after year.
    The bottom part could be redone the next year. Attach the two with small pieces of Velcro.

Or make the date separate to be Velcroed on each year.

I'd also figure out a way to keep the wording on the logo. Applique would be good. Love it.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

So many ideas.

I agree with ckcowl in that it depends on where it is to hang.

Also I would make it reusable from year to year. After the purpose of the event leave out the date & address info, as that could potentially change over time. Then leave out the price of admission but keep "admission includes...." These deleted facts could be on a separate piece of fabric [or pieced fabric background] and attached wherever your design ideas decide to put them. For instance, it could be attached via velcro or whatever at the bottom of the quilt. Thus the date, including year, and all are easily replaced yearly.

Posters could be made of the quilt to advertise the event thus keeping a consistent theme.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    So many ideas.
    U
    I agree with ckcowl in that it depends on where it is to hang.

Also I would make it reusable from year to year. After the purpose of the event leave out the date & address info, as that could potentially change over time. Then leave out the price of admission but keep "admission includes...." These deleted facts could be on a separate piece of fabric [or pieced fabric background] and attached wherever your design ideas decide to put them. For instance, it could be attached via velcro or whatever at the bottom of the quilt. Thus the date, including year, and all are easily replaced yearly.

Posters could be made of the quilt to advertise the event thus keeping a consistent theme.
    Im not going to put the date. Just the Soup for the Soul and the steaming soup bowl. Originally I thought about doing a quilt but then got to thinking, I wouldnt use it on my bed. Lol