Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good type of cushion for sewing chair? >

What is a good type of cushion for sewing chair?

What is a good type of cushion for sewing chair?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 AM

I have arthritic hips and cannot sit and sew for any length of time. Does anyone have an idea for a good cushion to use on my sewing chair? I'm currently using high density foam but it's not doing it. lol I have looked online for something and have seen gel cushions for wheelchairs and wonder if anyone has had any experiance in using this.
Thank you for your help.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
I have arthritic hips and cannot sit and sew for any length of time. Does anyone have an idea for a good cushion to use on my sewing chair? I'm currently using high density foam but it's not doing it. lol I have looked online for something and have seen gel cushions for wheelchairs and wonder if anyone has had any experiance in using this.
Thank you for your help.
I have never tried them. I have a reg cushion on my chair.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 AM

Hi, I have a combination of problems that make it necessary for me to always use a cushion. Flat butts run in my family and then I have this autoimmune disease that took away the little bit if muscle I had in that area. I use one of those cushions designed for those with hemoroids. I even took it with me when I worked at the election the last two times. One of the the Judges that relieved us periodically was always eager to use my chair and my cushion. I even stocked my car trunk with the blowup round cushions should I need one when I am out. I can only stand to sit on a hard surface for a few minutes. I can't even ride my exercise bike as it is like sitting on bone. No bleachers for me.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 AM

I was wheelchair bound for a while. Ican tell you those cushions for wheelchairs can be great because well you sure are sitting around in them for a long time. There is one that inflates and you can sit on it and slowly release just enough air that YOUR comfortable with it and it tends to mold to your rear end and legs a bit that way which makes it a true custom comfort. When I moved I was so dissappointed that some how it did not make the moving van (where did it RUN off to?). I think they are a tiny bit expensive but you go to a handicap supply store they might have one you can test out and see if it works. NOTE: they can lift you off your chair as much as 4-5 inches so you might end up having to put a phone book under your foot pedal.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 AM

My daughter has been in an electric wheelchair since she was little. Jay was the first company that made the gel cushions. You can buy them "off the shelf" or customize the inside by placing the gel packs where needed. There may be other manufacturers out there now, but Jay is still the one we ask for every time my daughter gets a new chair.

When you go to a medical supply store, ask for someone who is trained to customize clients' wheelchairs, as they can recommend the size and configuration for your condition. We have followed Tony around to his many places of employment because he is so good at customizing equipment to fit our daughter's unique needs.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I use a hemorrhoid cushion. It's the most comfortable one when sitting a long time. My family laughs at my sewing butt cushion.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Thank you so much for your insight. To get one from a medical supply is going to be too expensive. Maybe the next time I go to my orthopedic doctor I can talk to him about it. I think that Medicare would cover the cost of it. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

I love the idea of a hemorrhoid cushion. I'm going to try that.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I love the idea of a hemorrhoid cushion. I'm going to try that.
me too.