Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what happened to tacking.

at one time most people tacked quilts abd now it seems that everyone thinks a quilt has to be quilted. when making an everyday quilt tqcking is completely acceptable. i can not take the time or money it takes to send each quilt to the quilters. please give me your thoughts on this subject. betbet

Blog Entries
    You are certainly right, tying or tacking is perfectly acceptable, but how to finish is a choice each person makes! Some folks love the quilting process so much that they always go that way.

Are you referring to "tying" a quilt with yarn or floss? I did those for years. They are great. Except, I am trying to give my projects a more artistic flair. Since I don't use regular block anymore, I want my designs to stand out. I couldn't imagine "tying" a Bargello.

Blog Entries
    I have string tied several quilts. I use these for throws, and washed alot quilts. They have held up well. I also have done a few quilt as you go. There are no right or wrongs. Do what you like best. I too cannot afford to send all my quilts out.

Blog Entries
    Many quilts today are still tacked (tied). I participate in an annual quilt project for charity and all the quilts are turned & tied. Just personal preference on how you finish your quilt, just use appropriate batting for the technique you choose and you're all set!

i would say it's because now it's more of an expression of art, not utility as it was with our ancestors

I sleep with a tied quilt. It is softer and warmer than my longarm finished quilts. I have a longarm but still tie some.

I quilt all of mine because I love FMQ. It relaxes me. My grandmother tied all hers and they were beautiful. I see no problem with tying a quilt.

I don't send any quilts out, I do them myself. It's all about preference and I prefer quilting. I don't like the look of tied quilts and I personally would never own one or use one. If that's what you prefer, however, than that's what you should make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by betbet
    at one time most people tacked quilts abd now it seems that everyone thinks a quilt has to be quilted. when making an everyday quilt tqcking is completely acceptable. i can not take the time or money it takes to send each quilt to the quilters. please give me your thoughts on this subject. betbet
    The one on my bed now is tied! Someday I may remove the ties and machine quilt it. But for now I love its softness.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast