Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you done lately to add a pretty touch to your workroom? >

What have you done lately to add a pretty touch to your workroom?

What have you done lately to add a pretty touch to your workroom?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Default What have you done lately to add a pretty touch to your workroom?

My homemade big board is 24 inches by 48 inches and rests on top of my adjustable ironing board unit which is very sturdy. I decided to freshen up my work area with a new board cover and additional pressing sheet.

The cloth is white cotton duck. Luckily, I had purchased enough yardage for the removable cover and used the remaining fabric for an extra pressing surface. I must have been figuring the material was only 45 inches wide at point of purchase, but it actually measured 54 inches wide! My mistake turned out to be positive..... I even added some colorful double fold bias tape to the lengthwise edges of the pressing sheet.

Tomorrow I will quickly pick up the misc. fabric strewn on my cutting table and (ahh) various other flat surfaces. Then, I'll be able to see the functional pretty glass containers and baskets I use to decorate my workroom. A fresh and clean pressing surface will add some neatness and inspiration to a room I want to keep pleasant. Too much clutter drags my emotional spirits to the pits of despair. :-(

I hope you will enjoy playing (sewing) in your play room! I remain piecefully yours, Kay Susan
Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 PM

Happy New Year Susan!
My kitty decided to sharpen her claws on the side of my pressing surface so it's now starting to fray out. I keep thinking that i must do something about it but I just don't get to it. Now, thanks to your post, maybe I will. I can't say that I have a pretty sewing area - the room is 1/4 of the size I used to have and still has everything in it except the furniture that didn't fit, so needless to say, everything is stacked up. I have a walkway to my machine but I have to move things into the walkway to get to the cupboard....sigh..... Soon as I get my "backed up" projects done, (I refuse to have UFO's as they are all done and just waiting for me to get the time to quilt them), I'll be able to start the tidying process.....yuck.....

Hope you get the last little bit done!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 AM

To perk up my sewing area we bought a new house with a bigger room! We are moving into it this weekend so it is a totally blank slate at the moment.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 AM

I cleaned up my cutting table!
Cut a bunch of scraps into usable squares and put them away.
Amazing what a little cleaning will do for the "prettiness" of a room.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 AM

Gave it a new coat of paint and new Lace curtains, plus new (well they are really used, but new to me) shelving units.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I bought a wallhanging at a quilt live auction to put on my sewing room wall.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 AM

Nothing! My sewing room is a mess. Every day I plan to get in there and clean it out, and every day I find something else to do. Yesterday I cleaned out a drawer to put my rulers in. Not much, but maybe today will be the day.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 AM

I'm going to the Container Store today and purchasing a shelving unit to put on the wall behind my door and taking all of my fabric out of containers and putting on the shelves. This way will be able to see what I have (told DH will be able to save money by doing this) and hopefully be able to start some new quilts.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
Nothing! My sewing room is a mess. Every day I plan to get in there and clean it out, and every day I find something else to do.
Same here. There has been a fabric and project explosion in my sewing room. Going out today to purchase a few more plastic project totes in hopes of taming the mess and clutter.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Made a cute sewing machine cover. Used upholstery material. Used the same material to cover my ironing board. Velcro for closure. Cleaned the room up and miscellaneous scraps went into a gift basket til my niece comes over. She gets those.