Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is an Heirloom Quilt? >

What is an Heirloom Quilt?

What is an Heirloom Quilt?

Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 PM

what an interesting discussion. I, too, separate utility and heirloom quilts. For example, I'm working on my "Magnus Opus" hand quilting a white on white quilt. This I consider heirloom. However, if you really want to see some wonderful heirloom-like modern quilts go to Martha Pullen's website (I'd post it, but I don't know how to get from there to here). Besides all the fancy stitching, I think the many old quilts made from "fancy fabrics" like velvets, silks, lace etc. were also used. Add the fancy hand stitched embroidery and you have an heirloom. Old crazy quilts come to mind. Heirloom quilts were the "Art quilts" of their era where the artist's skill was shown in the design, fabric and stitching. Today, we even have a tv show called the "Art of Quilting."
Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

The quilts that are not considered. 'Heirlooms'. Are generally, simply. 'Utility'. quilts... Quilts made to be used in a daily setting, laundered often-will wear out with time. Heirloom's tend to be treated a bit more (gently). If I make a quilt I consider an heirloom I let the recipient know it should be gently used & how best to care for it-when I make Utility quilts I also include laundering/care instructions-and let them know when it wears out I can make another one. I have made a few. 'Heirloom' quilts over the years... The first one on purpose, a crazy quilt made of siks, velvet, antique lace, lots of embellishments. The next one was a wedding gift and the recipient loved it so much she asked for a hanging sleeve so she could display it without it being used/worn out. I also made a quilt I did not consider any like what I consider 'Heirloom' , the person who received it sure thought of it that way though. Has taken really good care of it and included it in his will... So, you can make them on purpose (&hope for the best) or you can make what you think of as an. Everyday quilt & it can become one.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Despite what we might hope regarding the long-term future of any quilt we make ...
Despite the cost of materials ...
Despite the intricacy ...
Despite the workmanship ...
Despite the love and care we invested in making it ...

It is not an heirloom just because we hope it will be or think it should be.
It is not an heirloom until we (or the person we give/sell it to) are/is dead and it's left to somebody.

I could spend $2,000 and 5 years making the most beautiful quilt ever seen by human eyes.
I still wouldn't refer to it as an heirloom, or as "heirloom quality".
I could only say that I intend to leave it to somebody and I hope they will love it, keep it, and pass it on when their time comes.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 AM

Well said, PatriceJ!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:00 PM

I know this is an old thread, but per APQS on their "Turn Your Passion Into a Successful Business" brochure:

"Heirloom Quilting is dense, heavy quilting, often including specialty techniques such as trapunto, micro-stippling, tight crosshatching, feathers, very intricate free-motion designs, stitching-in-the-ditch, small background fillers, custom block/border motifs and more. Heirloom quilting can take anywhere from 10 to 40 hours per queen-size quilt."

I don't necessarily agree with that definition, but I think it applies to the original question.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:18 PM

On this forum, I have often seen the phrases like "I'm not making an heirloom quilt". To me, it seems what the person is usually trying to say is that they are making a quilt that they are perfectly fine with getting hard use - e.g. going to the beach, letting pets sleep on it, or what ever the owner might possibly want to do with it. They don't expect the quilt to be pampered and are fine with it eventually wearing out. The quilt is intended to be used well and thoroughly enjoyed.

I think of heirloom quilt (as people use the phrase in this forum) of a quilt made with higher than average quality and care that is expected to be used gently, and will hopefully last for many, many years. So the quilt is fine to be used on the a bed and laundered regularly, but it would not be used for picnics outside. I don't think people who make these higher quality quilts intend for them to be sitting in storage, unused, but that does sometimes end up happening.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

On a very mundane level, it merely means that this quilt was inherited from somebody.

"Heirloom quality" - i suppose is one that is "better" than most other quilts.

I would say that anything that feline fanatic quilted would be in the "heirloom" quality.

There are also some other longarmers on this board that do extraordinary quilting.

Are there separate categories for hand and machine piecing, and hand and machine quilting?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 AM

I prefer the term 'Legacy Quilt'. Most of my work is practical quilts for everyday use. When I do go all out, its for my offspring and I let them know its to be cared for and cherished, handed down for generations, and made to show off everything I've learned over the years. My hope is that future descendants will refer to it as 'grandma's quilt' long after they've forgotten my name.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

The term heirloom quilt brings to my mind a quilt masterfully sewn by hand (since that's what used to be done almost exclusively) and handed down through generations. I don't know the definitive answer to this though.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:56 AM

I have Harriet Hargrave's book, "Heirloom Machine Quilting". I have not read the entire book but it is a comprehensive book that covers quilt making. From her words, I believe that a "heirloom quilt" is one that is done meticulously both piecing and quilting, whether by hand or machine, that is meant to last for generations. I also believe that when most quilters make a quilt with love and time, they are hoping that quilt will last for generations. It is my opinion that no matter the pattern, simple or intricate, no matter the quilting, hand, machine, or denseness, the problem we quilters face today with gifted quilts is how they are used, stored and most of all laundered. I know that I put a card with my quilts suggesting how it needs to be laundered but many people do not take these steps when caring for the quilts. I'm just not sure how to get this important step across to quilt owners. Today we are about speed and convenience, however, I believe that most quilters want their quilts to last for generations. Thus, they are deemed to be "heirloom". The more time that we take when quilting, whether hand or machine, to protect the seems of our quilts, IMHO, the longer they will last. When I make my, what I call, comfort quilts (those without batting and backed with Minky), I mean them to be used during difficult times and not necessarily to become "heirloom". They are throw size.