Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns >

What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM
kso

Unhappy What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

I come from a clothing construction background. Pattern pieces are always supplied in a pattern envelope. It appears that is not the case with the popular purse and wallet patterns that I have recently purchased. Designers just give you the dimensions of the various pieces that need to be cut. Some people may like that, but not me, so I have to take the time to draw the pattern pieces onto paper. Am I the only that is "quirky" that way?

I have a friend who makes pattern pieces for her paper pieced quilt projects. She hates taking a chunk of fabric and sewing it onto the paper and trimming it to size.

We all have our quirks.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 PM

I have a tissue paper pattern for my wallet/s that must be 30 years old now and I won't get rid of it. I have made many wallets from that pattern and have revised it several times to better suit me. I would be very disappointed to open a "pattern" to find I had to draw my own...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 PM

I knew there was a reason I don't buy bag patterns. If you have to draw your own anyway, why waste your money on a so called pattern.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

Every pattern I have purchased in the past few years has been like this. Look on the bright side you only have to make a tissue pattern once and you can use it over and over.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 AM

Add to what you are saying the fact that the directions are often 'garbled.' It seems that since quilting and purse making designers don't know how to write directions! I often rewrite the instructions for myself.

ali
Old 12-17-2011, 04:13 AM

I never thought about making an actual paper pattern, I think I will head for the sewing room and make some paper patterns, would be so much easier to construct a bag etc. . Thank you
Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 AM

The patterns that annoy me the most are the ones that give you a tiny little picture of the piece and then you are suppose to take it to the copyshop and enlarge it 240%. That may be easy enough if you live in an urban area but for those of us in good old rural Ontario, the copyshop may be 30 miles away! At least if they give me the dimensions, I can draw it out on newsprint if nothing else.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM

I too, wished that bag/wallet patterns would give you printed pattern pieces. It would be so much quicker for the sew-er. It would also make me feel like I was getting my money's worth. I pay $7 - $10 for a pattern and open it up and it's one sheet of measurements & directions. ugh !
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 AM

I guess I'm in the minority. I hate the tissue pattern paper. I sewed clothes for about 30 years and, because that was all we had, used the paper patterns. I feel much more free with just the suggested dimensions of pieces. Of course, I almost never make a pattern exactly as instructed. I make so many purses that the paper would slow me down. I do write instructions to myself in case I want to duplicate a bag. I do agree that most commercial patterns have poorly written instructions.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a Pattern for a cute wallet and some of the pieces are just rectangle or square cuts of material. Do I need a pattern for that. No! Pattern pieces for the curved parts were included. I enjoyed making it so much I made 20 of them to give to the girls in my department at work for xmas and I also made a credit card size xmas card and slipped it into one of the two card holder spots. if I ever learn how to post pics' I'll show them off!
peace