Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I have learned and questions >

What I have learned and questions

What I have learned and questions

Old 12-01-2016, 12:45 PM

sounds like your old machine had the wrong foot on it. I've seen that a lot. Won't feed worth a darn with a foot that does not like up with the feeddogs.

Glad you got a machine that is working properly - good tools make any project a lot more enjoyable!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:46 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

1. Using a cotton batting such as Hobbs 80/20 or Quilters Dream cotton will help when you are ready to machine quilt the top, because cotton on cotton doesn't shift as much as cotton on polyester does. You'll still want to baste; check out "basting" using the search feature on the board for discussions about different ways to do this.

2. "Washed" batting has much fewer wrinkles out of the package and tends to shrink less. "Wash" batting by soaking it in your washer on lukewarm, drain, gentle spin, 'air' or 'lightly warm" damp dry in dryer about 10 minutes, fluff out over the sofa before you head to bed for the night. It'll be dry in the morning, ready to layer.

I offer you a tip I've frequently shared here for maintaining an accurate, consistent seam allowance, my little gift to welcome you to the board:
Old 12-01-2016, 10:55 PM

I am such a bad quilter..I don't prewash anything..well I do but only if I am using muslin as a backing.

If I want a wrinkley look I use Hobbs 80/20, if I want a flatter look I use Dream poly select. This Dream poly feels like cotton and really clings to the tops as I quilt it on my midarm Handyquilter.

I also had a machine that I got from a thrift shop and it came with only one foot...It was a wrong foot and so it sat only one side of the feed dogs. Then got a featherweight then two others, one with bells and whistles and my HQ.

Glad you got one that works for you..I have been sewing/quilting for many years but I still learn from this board.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:11 AM

Bearisgray, That is a very good possibility about the agitation.

I have looked more closely to some quilting photos. I can see how the wrinkly affect can add some added texture. I think it would be good with some designs and maybe not so much with others. So, something to think about.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:19 AM

The feet I used with my old sewing machine are the ones that came with it out of the box. So, I can't use that as an excuse. lol. My brother in law thinks they didn't align it right at the manufacturer or they put a bent shaft in it. Haven't taken that much of it apart to verify it. Not worth the effort or money to pay to have someone else look at it.

Happy Quilting weekend. Going to try to finish my top this weekend. I know you all would have it done in a day. But, I have been talking to myself with each step. Trying not to over think things. Making sure pressing is the right way. Yes, I even hand press try it out before I put the iron to the fabric. lol. want to make sure the seams are pressed the right way so seams will line up properly. Double check and triple check all cutting before rotary touches anything. So, it is taking me a bit longer. But oh the joy of it all. I would rather go turtle speed and have something that looks good than going cheetah speed and have bigger oopsies than differences in fabric shades.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:01 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Good grief, I didn't get the graphic to post in my response 4 slots above!!

Here it is:

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.gif  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by dottiemae View Post
Bearisgray, That is a very good possibility about the agitation.

I have looked more closely to some quilting photos. I can see how the wrinkly affect can add some added texture. I think it would be good with some designs and maybe not so much with others. So, something to think about.
Yes, in my opinion, some of the traditional old fashioned looking quilt tops ...say, in the 30's repro fabric...looks great with a wrinkled appearance, but something more modern would look better if the batting is pre-washed to avoid the wrinkled look. I think I will pre-wash the batting for a rainbow bargello I recently pieced.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 AM

Thanks, Jan in VA for that picture. I've got all my ducks in a row except the scant quarter inch seam. That has escaped me. Nothing is turning out except for UFOs.

I've seen my teacher use that pointer stick trick. I'll have to have her over for lunch and let her watch me.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:40 AM

Lol I was going to ask if you forgot something...another way is painters tape! It comes off with no residue and stays on until you take it off!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:20 AM

For this quilt, I would use a poly so there isn't a shrink question. Your did not make an 'oopsy' with the darker fabric - you added a design element! Trust me, we have ALL made changes midway thru a quilt to work in our unexpected design elements. The absolute most important lesson is to keep having fun. The biggest cause of UFOs is that they stopped being fun and became work, so we put them to the side.