Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: What I learned about quilting

  1. #41
    Senior Member leighway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    N. Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    480
    I have learned from quilting that while I am outspoken, impatient and don't have time to be a type A, when I quilt I have the patience of Job and become very gentle, knowing that the fabric is going to win if I start pulling it or twisting it. I've also learned that I can become lost in looking at seams that match and colors that work together. The third thing I've learned is that quilters are the most generous, kind and appreciative audience one could ever wish for...

  2. #42
    Super Member JoanneS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AZ and CT
    Posts
    4,886
    Blog Entries
    1
    Would someone please tell me who is that person who keeps sneaking into my sewing room and hiding things?

  3. #43
    Super Member Minnesewta-sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,447
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    Would someone please tell me who is that person who keeps sneaking into my sewing room and hiding things?
    Joanne- It's probably the same one that trashes my sewing room between sessions. If I catch 'em at it...they are going to have a lot of re-straightening to do.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

  4. #44
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southeast Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    If I want to wad something up and put it in the trash there is absolutely no reason not to. It's my stuff. I am allowed to do whatever I wish with my stuff, including pitching it in the trash. I don't have to make excuses. I don't have to put effort into giving it to a thrift store. I don't have to continue working with something to give it to dogs. I do not have to do any of those things. And nobody is going to "guilt" me into doing any of those things if I don't want to.


    You seriously have permission to just wad it up and pitch it in the trash if you're totally done with it. If you want to salvage or redeem it in some way, you have permission to do that too.

    Amen! I trash all kinds of stuff.

  5. #45
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    12,804
    Blog Entries
    1
    I learned that stash seems to grow and multiply. My DH suggested that I leave the light on in the sewing room. lol I once pulled out the scrap bin and sewed an entire top from it. When I put the rest back in the bin, I swear it was fuller than before.

    As for throwing things away....that is truly everyone's personal business. My take is that I put my "undesirables" into a separate bag and either send it on to someone I know will use it or donate it to the community service group at the guild. It is my "pay it forward" opportunity. It is not really a big effort but it brings a nice reward. (And yes, some pieces end up in the trash at my house too.)
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

  6. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    106
    My dog says that if I spend too long at a stretch in the sewing room without paying attention to her, she has every right to claim my sewing chair when I finally get up to iron.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    proctor,wv
    Posts
    814
    Just have to say hee, hee, hee.

  8. #48
    Super Member QandE2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida - formerly Montana
    Posts
    2,990
    One more, if you see fabric you think is ugly, you haven't cut it small enough.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    If I want to wad something up and put it in the trash there is absolutely no reason not to. It's my stuff. I am allowed to do whatever I wish with my stuff, including pitching it in the trash. I don't have to make excuses. I don't have to put effort into giving it to a thrift store. I don't have to continue working with something to give it to dogs. I do not have to do any of those things. And nobody is going to "guilt" me into doing any of those things if I don't want to.
    You seriously have permission to just wad it up and pitch it in the trash if you're totally done with it. If you want to salvage or redeem it in some way, you have permission to do that too.
    Oh my goodness! Don't let me spoil your day. I'm just a fanatic (and proud of it) who gets upset when I see orange rinds and coffee grounds in the trash. They go in the compost. Everything in my house goes somewhere for a second or third use if possible. I make very little trash. Just trying to save the earth. So chill out! LOL
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

  10. #50
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,710
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Oh my goodness! Don't let me spoil your day. I'm just a fanatic (and proud of it) who gets upset when I see orange rinds and coffee grounds in the trash. They go in the compost. Everything in my house goes somewhere for a second or third use if possible. I make very little trash. Just trying to save the earth. So chill out! LOL
    Oh you can't spoil my day but you gotta know you don't need to go around telling people what to do.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.