Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned at quilt retreat >

What I learned at quilt retreat

What I learned at quilt retreat

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM

I think I go to the places to have fun. I use my phone, but tend to leave the room to as I take call. The only thing that would drive me crazy is a know it all. i start out polite, and then tend to ignore to a point of being oblivious. I don't have patience..
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM

It is good reading all the various viewpoints here. I have never attended a quilting retreat but hoping to one of these days. My one concern that keeps me from signing up for one is the value of the experience. If I spend my hard-earned money for one, will there be others who interfer with me getting what I expect? It is good to hear what ALL of you had to say ... even the quilting police. Thanks All!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Just finished a small retreat with a group of ladies who were hand-picked. Each one brought something interesting to the retreat in the way of food, projects, ideas, etc. We all got to know each other better and I came away with a renewed interest in a few of the attendees. I have been to large retreats where it was easy to stay away from the troublesome people. I have also found it quite easy to ask "who will be there" when invited to retreats. If I do not feel I can spend a few days with some of the ladies - I don't attend. Just makes it easier on me to not get cranky when I am constantly confronted by clueless, illogical and rude people. I do like your idea of moving around....
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the chuckle!! Glad you were able to move where you had some personal space.
I have not attended an over-night retreat, but would like to some time. Have done day workshops, and sew-ins for the evening.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM

I have been to many retreats and enjoy them. There are annoying people everywhere, stores, planes, roads, even churches. Everyone is different. I hate to say it, but I find some of these comments harsh.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 AM

I will say that when I went to retreat I never talked on my cell phone in the room. For one, it was too noisy for me. For another, those are private conversations. The talking I do is to others there about their projects, their homes, their families, their life experiences, etc...

I did learn things at retreat and people learned things from me. We showed one another pictures (on our phones) and how to do something a little different. I did not know the "proper" way to use a seam ripper.

I had fun but I do get nervous that I bother other people because I am just not the type to sit quietly and ignore those around me. Why go if you don't want the interaction? Rent a hotel room and sew alone.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM

I've never been to a retreat - probably never will - but i consider this site my 24/7 quilt retreat. The innumerable things i've learned - the warmth and comraderie i've received in response to threads - the beautiful work i've been able to look at and be inspired by ..... it doesn't get any better than that.....So QB is the best possible "quilt retreat for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM

that is the problem with retreats, you always have to put up with other peoples problems. stay home.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 PM

I guess that's why I have never been to a retreat without at least one friend. Maybe we are the ones that annoy everyone else? We always have a good time and come away saying that it was the best one ever. I think I've been on 12 now.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Ah, yes. When I attend classes with my sewing group (not necessarily quilting, but other types), I always have a list in my head of which members I do NOT want to sit with. I try to pre-arrange with somebody I know to do the "you save my seat, I save yours" routine so we can sit together! Some of the ladies are very nice, but they are real energy-suckers who keep distracting your attention from the class every few minutes, whether it's a machine problem or asking you to repeat what the teacher just said because they weren't listening (because they were dealing with the aforementioned machine problem...).

And just a quick note to MaryLane who said she's a talker... don't let it chase you away from retreats...there are always people around who would find you more entertaining than someone who just hunches over her machine all day. It takes all kinds, right?! When I used to attend scrapbooking retreats....hoo boy, I could tell you stories about those ladies. Suffice to say, once they smuggled in the wine, there was talking, singing, dancing, and assorted husband-yelling on cell phones going on non-stop. At least quilters don't usually smuggle in wine, because we're afraid of getting our fabrics stained LOL!
Hey, FMQ ALWAYS goes better with wine....or a martini....or a Mike's hard lemonade. don't be too critical of those who drink.