Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT was I thinking?? Now what to do??

I am making a QAYG using the D9P pattern and copied from Marykoch's example (thanks Mary, your's is beautiful!). I decided to make the reverse side a D9P also using just 2 colors. That's when I must have lost my mind ~ I tried to SID around my blocks. What ever made me think I could SID on BOTH sides of the 'road'? Now what to do ...Do any of you have suggestions of how to quilt this? I'm not a FMQ and so it needs to be fairly simple. Straight lines perhaps or use a template design? What do you think would look good from both sides?

Front of quilt
    Name:  Attachment-265372.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  69.3 KB

Back of quilt
    Name:  Attachment-265373.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  36.4 KB

np3
    Blog Entries
    Oops! No ideas, but it sounds like something I might have done!

Blog Entries
    The blocks look to be a mirror image of each other so when they are placed back to back don't all the seams line up exactly?

You could always cut new back blocks for the QAYG method and then use the second set of pieced blocks as a second quilt top.

Blog Entries
    Meander

Quote Originally Posted by Carol in WI
    I am making a QAYG using the D9P pattern and copied from Marykoch's example (thanks Mary, your's is beautiful!). I decided to make the reverse side a D9P also using just 2 colors. That's when I must have lost my mind ~ I tried to SID around my blocks. What ever made me think I could SID on BOTH sides of the 'road'? Now what to do ...Do any of you have suggestions of how to quilt this? I'm not a FMQ and so it needs to be fairly simple. Straight lines perhaps or use a template design? What do you think would look good from both sides?
    Looking at the blocks,the back side blocks are identical to the front blocks. It does not look so on the picture, but you will turn them around when they go on the back. I assume they will be close. Might not be a good idea to SId, but how about a small design in some larger areas? Use template or make triangle. You won't notice if you are not exactly in the middle on the backside. Of course you could hand tie the quilt too. Good luck. Love the color scheme and pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    The blocks look to be a mirror image of each other so when they are placed back to back don't all the seams line up exactly?

You could always cut new back blocks for the QAYG method and then use the second set of pieced blocks as a second quilt top.
    The blocks are mirror images, though it'd be next thing to impossible to get them to line up perfectly as you do SITD.

When doing a pieced back, you really do need to think as to how they are going to go together when it comes to quilting.

I think a second quilt might be the solution ... unless you want to do an all over meander or some sort of a panto-style design.

dd
    I agree with 2 separate quilts. I don't think you will be able to match up perfectly on each square.

Blog Entries
    You could do squares inside each of the big squares ... maybe 1/4 inch from the seam -- then it wouldn't matter so much of the seams don't line up exactly. You could use red thread on the black and grey side, and grey or black on the red and white side.

Blog Entries
    Work diagonally in increments that ignore your block sizes. Then no one will ever know what side you worked from.

I wouldn't even try to match. If you truly want it to be reversible, I think a meander is just fine. If you want to do something fancier than that--make 2 quilts. There is nothing wrong with a couple loop-de-loops in each block or even the good old fashioned X across each one.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast