Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was I thinking? >

What was I thinking?

What was I thinking?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Default What was I thinking?

I decided to save money this year and offered to make all of my kids (I have 4) a quilt for Christmas from my stash. Since then, I only have 1 quilt finished with 2 pillows made (which all had to be mailed in order to be there for Christmas), and 12 blocks finished for one of the king size quilts! I am also trying to make a diaper bag (revised the bow tuck bag) for a customer. She wants a bow tuck bag enlarged and add a zipper for a closure. I bought a two-way zipper and am having the hardest time figuring out how to install it! (If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears!) I did look at the tute on this board but it wasn't for a two-way zipper.
Anyway, I don't think I am going to make my deadline for the quilts and just needed to blow off some steam! Thanks for letting me do that!
Oh yea, did I mention I also work 40 hours a week? LOL!
Taking deep breaths!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 PM

You meant well when you offered to make each one a quilt. It is easy to get overextended with quilting because we have such great ideas and so many wonderful patterns. But life gets in the way and with your work schedule I know you must get tired. I bet your kids will understand. You are all blessed to have each other. Good luck on the diaper bag and zipper.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:24 PM

Are you sure you didn't tell them that you would make 1 quilt a year and they would each get their turn? I'm sure they will understand why you didn't get them all finished. Good luck on the diaper bag.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Can you make them a cute little quilted gift card holder telling them it's in the works?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Can you make them a cute little quilted gift card holder telling them it's in the works?
You could even make the cards to mach the planned quilts.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Do you mean a zipper with both ends enclosed like on top of a bag? If so, you insert it the same way as any other zipper, only with both ends of the zipper placket closed. To keep the zipper from slipping off on the end that used to come apart, you will need to buy another zipper stop on that end to keep the two sides closed.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM

The zipper can be opened on either end and does not come apart on either end. I know I need to make an extra piece of fabric for both sides of the zipper and add it to the each top part of the lining, but I don't know how to attach the entire top of the lining with the zipper installed to the top part of the bag? Since the zipper doesn't come apart, it makes it more difficult. I hope you all understand what I am trying to explain. The zipper is a purse zipper.

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Do you mean a zipper with both ends enclosed like on top of a bag? If so, you insert it the same way as any other zipper, only with both ends of the zipper placket closed. To keep the zipper from slipping off on the end that used to come apart, you will need to buy another zipper stop on that end to keep the two sides closed.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM

I just might have to do this! Great idea!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
You could even make the cards to mach the planned quilts.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 PM

I love this idea! Thanks I might have to do this!

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

You mentioned making pillows. Can you do a pillow for each of the quilt patterns you plan to do and send those with a note that a quilt will follow?