Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I want..... >

What I want.....

What I want.....

Old 01-30-2010, 05:47 PM

Coaster for coffee cup, paper towels and telephone. If you start to sew the phone will ring.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM

Just think of all the sewing we could get done if we all lived in the same town, wow....
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by schwanton
I have been "taking back" my sewing room for several months. The cabinets are now lined and all fabrics (well, what could fit) are sorted by color, folded and stacked. I like the doors closed to keep the light from fading. My fat quarters are also folded, sorted and in small boxes in another cabinet. I have four big tubs under the table, sorted by categories, etc. But the highlight and must have item of my sewing room is my table. I bought an adjustable height table from IKEA. They have many sizes, you can find one that will fit your area. I have it low for sewing to take the stress off my arms and shoulders. When I need it higher, I can move my machine and adjust the height. (or use the dining table with bed lifters.)
I looked in IKEA for a table that is adjustable in height but could not find one. Could you post a picture of the one you have?
I too get a sore back as all our tables are just too low and I cant raise them as we use them for other things too.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Here is the link. You can choose the size, color and leg type you want. I chose the t-leg. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19837009
Old 01-31-2010, 03:44 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by schwanton
Here is the link. You can choose the size, color and leg type you want. I chose the t-leg. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19837009
thanks for that..i live in Australia so will go and check out our IKEA store when I am out that way next.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM

I have converted the back bedroom into my sewing room. My husband made shelves in the closet for my fabric. I then made a flannel sheet to cover opening of closet and use as my design wall to put my blocks when working on a quilt. I have a large cutting table 5' x 4', on top of that I put the largest cutting mat that I could find. Towards the back of the table, my husband put a box with about 4/5 electrical switches for my use, like my Ott light. I also have some rolling drawers where I keep patterns. I also have a couple of notebook binders where I keep patterns in plastic pockets. A bookshelf is almost essential for your collection of books, etc. I have a pegboard where I hang my rulers, rotary cutters and templates. I have a Grace Quilting frame set up and two sewing machines, one for me and one of my friend, (that way when someone comes they don't have to carry their machine). Of course you have to have a T.V. and/or radio.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:35 PM

what color would you paint the walls>
Old 01-31-2010, 06:50 PM

My walls are a pale pinkish-peach with white trim. I actually bought two hanging quilts at Ross for my curtains, they are white with the pink, light green charm squares.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 AM

My walls are white because of the chance that color would make a difference in my color selection of fabrics. But all of our walls are white so I can change color schemes in the rooms without considering that it won't "work". Repainting takes away from quilting time! There used to be a navaho white that took on the hues of the colors in the room that was really nice--don't know if they still make it since most things I like they take off the market by the time I go to get it again. But navaho white isn't a stark white and is a good "blender" as quilt talk goes.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mmhrpt
One of the things I have in my sewing room is a piece of pegboard! I'm guessing it's about 18x 24". A friend of mine put a frame on it so I could hang it on the wall. I used to own a drug/gift store so I had lots of peg hooks around. That's where I hang my rulers and tools. It's never really organized but it's there and it's a great spot for anything that can hang on a peg hook!
I like the pegboard - I'm going to check where I would have room for some when I get home. They also have pegs that you could use for spools of thread.