Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What if i use Polyester?

I have alot of a fabric that I'm sure has some polyester in it and I would like to use it in a border. What will happen if I do? Will it perhaps shrink differently than the rest of the quilt? I did not prewash anything.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have used poly blends with cotton and have not had any problems. I don't prewash either.

I use poly blends with no problems. You can also use it in the body of your quilt top (and back). The quilt won't wrinkle as much as cotton when you wash it and will stay new looking longer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have used poly blends with cotton and have not had any problems. I don't prewash either.

ditto

Blog Entries
    I have used poly blends with for years with no problems. They will not fade over the years as fast as the 100% cotton will though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    I have alot of a fabric that I'm sure has some polyester in it and I would like to use it in a border. What will happen if I do? Will it perhaps shrink differently than the rest of the quilt? I did not prewash anything.
    It won't shrink as much at the cottons. And it "wears" differently. Over time the cotton part wears away, but the polyester just hangs in there. Look at some old shirts from the 70's; they never wear out, but look thin. It also has a different sheen than cotton. I don't mix the two, personally, only because they seem to have different feels and drapiness, but I don't actually see it as a problem. Just remember it is your quilt and you can do as you please. I would prewash all the fabric first, though, when mixing fabrics so that any shrinkage is out of the way before assembly of the quilt. Just have fun :!: :thumbup:

poly blends normally shrink very little if at all...the colors do not fade; i would not worry about using it, if it works for your project use it; it will be fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    I would prewash all the fabric first, though, when mixing fabrics so that any shrinkage is out of the way before assembly of the quilt.
    This is good advice. I always prewash for another reason, as well: If the fabric is 'wonky' or out of shape on the bolt, it will straighten in the wash. Then cut pieces do not change shape after washing, especially if the pieces are larger.

I've used cotton for the blocks and a poly blend for backing and border and had no problems, it was just a matter of money at the time.

Blog Entries
    Polyester does not fade over time; cotton does. That's one of the reasons why polyester is often not mixed with cotton in a quilt top. Years down the line, after all the cottons have mellowed and faded, the poly colors will look bright as ever.