Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if there were no more brick & mortar shops? >

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

She refers to this is "show casing" where people use the brick and mortar only for those to see the item they are looking to buy online. I find this to be a very brazen act of disregard and a disturbing trend.
The younger generation shop this way and won't change. The young business owners know this and cater to them.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Can't believe someone would have the gall to walk into an LQS to touch and !?! take pictures of fabric but not buy!?! If you're reading this and this is you-that is just incredibly rude. We all know how it feels to be taken advantage of and this is what this is.
Well if I walk into a store and see and touch fabric I want, then look at the end of the bolt and almost die of sticker shock, then yes, I will take a picture and shop elsewhere. If the store wants my business, then it has to offer something else to counter the price, like excellent service. Unfortunately, I don't often get that at many shops.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I was at Barnes and Nobles and saw two women taking pictures of quilt and knitting patterns from books. I asked one of the employees (looked to be in mid 30's) if that was allowed and he just shrugged and said what difference does it make? What? That is losing sales for the store not to mention stealing from copyrights. He said it's the same as if someone came in and memorized it from the pages. He said no one told him to stop anyone from doing that.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Kinda like someone walking into my husbands 7-11 with a speedway refill cup and expecting free coffee from him...the smaller stores have a lot more overhead than others and buying in smaller quanities expensive!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 AM

Local shops must learn to compete. Since we live in a society in which the fit survive, they must make themselves fitter. The savvy shop owner can offer services and experiences which even the best and most economical online site may not, therefore, it does not take a genius to suss out what the shop owner must do to keep a niche.

Ever since my great grandson showed me how to use an i-phone, I have most certainly taken advantage of the competitive prices available online. Twould be folly not to.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM

I only buy online what I can't get at a LQS. However I am blessed with 5 really good quality ones within 25 miles. 2 are within 10 min of my front door. (dangerous of course). BUT I do a bunch of online research. Since each shop has it's own personality I'm very lucky. I do order my QOV center panels online though. and some Northcott & Stonehenge fabric as well. Sadly many quilters live in locations that are remote etc. BUT we must keep the LQS in business. How else would we fondle fabric.

SweatyPie is correct as well. The shop must offer classes, quilting etc to stay in the game. Sadly NOT ONE of the 5 shops I use have a LA for rent, or even have one period. Can you imagine??

Last edited by tuckyquilter; 09-15-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 AM

I always go to my LQS to buy fabric first. But now, since there are so few around, if they don't have a fabric/color/design I'm looking for, I do shop online. I'm sometimes disappointed by the fabric I get online and have learned some shopping online savy. But the feel and seeing the actual fabric is what inspires me to buy some.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I like shopping locally and have access to quite a few brick and mortar so to speak. I know of 5 within a 1-10 minute drive not including Hancocks, JoANN's, and Walmart. If I can't find exactly what I'm looking for I have the locals order it for me. I have a couple orders in now. Just got a call from them and going to pick up the fabric and ruler. I gladly pay the extra cost because I hate shopping online. had trouble with paypal so won't do that. Sorry for the ramble.
Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I'd really be up a tree. I do 99% of my fabric purchasing at brick & mortar stores. I'm a very tactile person and like to fondle before I purchase. I'm very fortunate that I can get to Lancaster, PA for some great deals relatively easily. I only purchase for projects. Most times I do that in Lancaster, but I will also purchase at my LQS - usually for smaller projects, though due to the price difference.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM

I seldom buy yardage online. I like to touch what I buy. However I almost always buy pre-cuts online because the variety is there. I am lucky to have more than a dozen QS in a 40 mile radius and 4 here in town.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM

I wouldn't even notice-there are no shops here anyway. When there was, they rarely had anything current.