Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What Kind of Muslin Do You Like To Use?

I've been trying to find a suitable muslin for my quilts, and am would like to know what you prefer? What's the best width to use, and who has the best prices?

Mya Siam

Joanns had 108" on sale for $3.99 this past week

Moda for the back, as wide as possible, and Kona snow 44 inches wide or another Kona like bone or ivory for the front. I get them from Hancock of Paducah or where ever I can get the best price.

Blog Entries
    I've tried muslins from various places and either was disappointed with the quality (joAnns) or price (LQS). I just purchased Roc-Lon "Super Muslin" at WalMart yesterday. I think I'm going to love it! It definately is a heavy weight, sort of like some of the heavier batiks, and you do need to pre wash as it did shrink, but at $2.25/yard, I think it's a great deal. For some reason I have a problem using pretty fabric for my quilt backs ;-) I went to their web site and they do make a 108" that I would like to find. Has anyone had experience with this brand?

Have any of you tried the Moda Bella line? It is to die for. I was looking for a black and my lqs had a batik that I bought and it was solid. I don't like most muslins because they feel so thin and flimsy. I was at the Quilt Festival in Cincinnati and saw and felt this Bella. I bought a yard for $6.95, but found it cheaper online. It is a great feeling, and looking solid line of fabrics.
    Judi

Blog Entries
    I like the Kona Premium 200 ct and the Southern Belle 200 ct muslins. They wash up nice, don't wrinkle as badly as the less expensive muslins. I can usually find for about $5 yard. Yes it's more than some muslins, but with regular fabrics and batiks going for up to $12 a yard, it's a great alternative to stretch out the stash and still have great quality.

Blog Entries
    I used the Southen Belle for a whole quilt; you can tell the quality. I had some of the stuff from walmarts and I couldn't believe the difference between the quaility of the two when put side by side. The stuff from walmarts will not go into a quilt of mine.

Kona and my Jo-anns doesn't carry it any more......