Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of starch for flannel? >

What kind of starch for flannel?

What kind of starch for flannel?

Old 10-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Question What kind of starch for flannel?

Hello,

I recently asked a question about quilting with flannel. I was told to wash it and starch it. What kind of starch should I get? I thought I read somewhere it is possible to make your own starch mixture for quilting. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

I like a 1:1 mixture of Sta-Flo laundry starch and water. Stiffens flannel nicely.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Flannel in the US is just made with cotton, so you can use whatever kind of starch or sizing that you prefer. I currently use Faultless Starch (I have a severe allergy to sizing, but it works just as well). I've also mixed my own with Sta-Flo. You want to use a decent amount of starch to help give the flannel a bit of stiffness. I usually spray a generous coating over the entire right side of my fabric, let it soak in for 3-5 minutes & then I iron on the wrong side of the fabric (keeps starch from building up on the sole plate of the iron). I repeat that process in reverse & then cut. If my fabric has been sitting for a while before I have a chance to piece it, I will just spray a light mist of starch on one side & steam press before sewing. The moisture will help "re-activate" the starch.

Note: If you live in an area with a warm, moist climate, you want to be cautious about using starch as it can attract silverfish & other pests. I know quilters down in Florida who switch to sizing if their project is going to sit out for a length of time before it gets finished & washed to remove starch. I've never had problems here in Illinois.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Hello,

I recently asked a question about quilting with flannel. I was told to wash it and starch it. What kind of starch should I get? I thought I read somewhere it is possible to make your own starch mixture for quilting. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
I found 2 recipes that work well.

First one: Mix together 2 ½ cups of tap water and 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch in a saucepan (make sure there are no lumps).
Bring the mixture to a boil for 1 minute then cool to room temperature.
Fill a spray bottle.

When you bring it to a boil, the starch stays suspended and works perfectly: no shaking, no clogging, and nicely starched fabric!

Second one: Mix one part vodka to two parts water in a spray bottle (I use 1/3 cup vodka and 2/3 cup water).
Shake to combine.

The first recipe gives you a cloudy starch, the second one gives you a clear starch.

Last edited by Christine-; 10-08-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
Second one: Mix one part vodka to two parts water in a spray bottle (I use 1/3 cup vodka and 2/3 cup water).
Except there is no starch in this mixture. Vodka may be made with potato starch, but during the process of fermentation the yeast digests the starch and yields alcohol.

Vodka, water, and an essential oil such as lavender makes a "linen water".
Old 10-08-2016, 10:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I like a 1:1 mixture of Sta-Flo laundry starch and water. Stiffens flannel nicely.
I just want to add my method for using this on yardage. Working on my kitchen island, I use a large wall painting brush to saturate the yardage with starch, wait a few minutes to allow the flannel fibers to absorb the starch, toss in the dryer, and then use an iron with steam to re-activate the starch and iron flat. Instead of steam, sometimes I use a spray bottle of water to moisten the starch. This method gives a good, heavy starching to flannel that makes it much easier to cut and piece accurately. Depending on your pattern, it can be a good idea to use 1/2" seams with flannel instead of the more traditional 1/4" since flannel does have more of a tendency to fray. However, if you prewash, that helps tighten up the weave and may make 1/2" seams unnecessary. I would use 1/2" seams if you are using flannel for backing.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:04 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful advice! I will be trying this soon!!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
This is what I use for all of my fabrics as well.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks, Christine! I used to use Sta-Flo and still do sometimes but I've switched to vodka and put a little Sta-Flo in it. My vodka recipe is much less vodka vs water. I will try yours next time! BTW I really like your avatar block!
Old 10-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Thank you Kitsie!