Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of table for cutting?

What kind of table for cutting?

I have a table I use for cutting and it is really too low. It is only 29 inches. It is hurting my back over time. I need something about 36 inches. What have you girls found out there to solve this problem? Thanks
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I had the same exact problem. We have a dining room table we don't use so my DH attached blocks of wood to the bottom of the legs and made it cutting table height. The wood can easily come off to use the table if needed but in 2 yrs, with an empty nest, we haven't needed it. There are square table extensions that you put under your table legs but my table legs were "L" shaped and they didn't work. Good Luck.

I use an old kitchen table...... Had the same issue.. We we went to Walmart and bought bed risers. They come in a set of 4 and the table legs sit on one each... Perfect now!

Best place for me is the penninsula counter-top in my kitchen. I'm lucky to have an extra long one and can put my 36x24 inch cutting mat on one end (where I can walk around 3 sides) and a pressing mat at the other. Perfect height and much sturdier than a table.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieLOU View Post
    Best place for me is the penninsula counter-top in my kitchen. I'm lucky to have an extra long one and can put my 36x24 inch cutting mat on one end (where I can walk around 3 sides) and a pressing mat at the other. Perfect height and much sturdier than a table.
    this is just the way i work as well
    Nancy in western NY

Hi Suzanne -
    I had the same type of back pain after cutting for just a little while. So I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got the wooden blocks that are made to put under the legs of a bed to raise it higher. There is a little cutout in each block where the table leg sits, and I think they lifted my table by 5 inches.

Blog Entries
    The height of the cutting table should be right about where your belly button is.

Can you put some bed risers under the feet? This really helps when I'm cutting.

I went to Habitat for Humanity, bought 2 lower kitchen cabinets, put a door on top of it - and voila!! A cutting table the perfect height - w/ drawers, too!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Bed risers are the best for me. I have had them a very long time and the height is just right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast