Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: what is the largest quilt you've ever made?

what is the largest quilt you've ever made?

I am working on a ginormous quilt, which I predict will end up being 124" square when complete. This is the largest I have ever done, breaking my old record by about 9" on width and length. I am going to quilt it on my DSM. It is made from upholstery fabrics, and will weigh a ton when it is finished. Oh, and it is for a paying customer.

I am still at the piecing stage...and I am already having nightmares about the layering and quilting!

Last night as I lay awake (at 3am, of course) I mulled the various approaches to quilting this behemoth: should I QAYG? Should I do it in sections then combine the pieces? Bite the bullet, do the whole thing as one piece and pray for increased upper body strength to infuse me?!?

I think I have decided to combine all the pieced squares (which will make a center of about 96" square), layer that on the backing with a generous allowance all around (l'm thinking about 30" on each side), quilt that, and then add the enormous border...

What say ye?

Alison-the-Unnerved

PS The quilting will be simple - mostly wavy diagonal lines, and SITD - so there won't be too much FMQ going on.

80 x 100 I believe is the largest so far. A quilt for my son and his wife.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    your idea sounds great. i can't imagine doing the quilt in its entirety in one go. the largest i did was a king on my frame.
    Nancy in western NY

I've made several king size - 120x120". I'm working on one 106x106" now.

I think it might be easier for you to quilt the inner square then add the borders.

I made a king size on my dinky mechanical Brother and quilted it in the ditch. It was set on point so I started in the middle and worked out so there was minimal wrestling it.

I made a log cabin 97x112 for my 6 ft. 5in. Grandson. He loved it!

The largest size quilts I've done are Queen size. I wouldn't enjoy making any bigger.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

I have quilted several king sized 120 x 120 on my DSM. ON all of them, I have quilted them prior to putting the borders on. A couple I split in sections & quilted that way. It just depends on the design. Good luck & show pictures.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Before I had a longarm I quilted all my large quilts in sections, using one of the various techniques in Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. She uses examples to help you decide which of the techniques to use for a particular quilt.

Blog Entries
    In 1988, I did a large king sized quilt. I used flannel for the batting, and tied it. That was before I knew anything about machine quilting and there was no time in my schedule for hand quilting. That quilt has been used a LOT!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast