Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to look for when hiring a long arm quilter. >

What to look for when hiring a long arm quilter.

What to look for when hiring a long arm quilter.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Ladies,

I'm new to quilting and I see such beautiful work on this board. Having done only two quilt tops, i'm not experienced in what is quality work when I have someone long arm it for me.

Any pointers from you ladies as what I should look for? I am due to get my t-shirt quilt on Thursday and im hoping my expectations are met.

Thanks!
Oh..this is my finished quilt top for my daughter who is going away to MSU in two weeks and the quilt I will get back on Thursday. The backing of the quilt is green/white MSU with a 10 inch white border at the top with her name across/centered of the quilt. I don't have a picture of that but will post when I get it back.

Charlene's Highschool T-Shirt Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241466[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-241460.jpe  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM

See examples of their work

Get pricing and date of finished work up front.

Make what you want done on the quilt very clear so there are no misunderstandings.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
See examples of their work

Get pricing and date of finished work up front.

Make what you want done on the quilt very clear so there are no misunderstandings.
Im on the right track then. Thank you.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Send it to Charisma... Have you seen her work?!?!?!??! She does AWESOME work... look in the picture section she has tons of her work in there..

here is a link to her profile...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...p?usernum=8938
Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Send it to Charisma... Have you seen her work?!?!?!??! She does AWESOME work... look in the picture section she has tons of her work in there..

here is a link to her profile...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_pr...p?usernum=8938
Charisma's work is gorgeous! I love her work.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Go Blue!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Love the tshirt quilt to be!
When I use a new to me quilter I try to see examples of her work first. I ask if she does free hand work, computer guided or just all over stitching. It makes a difference to me so that I know what to expect in the quilting.
Also make sure you specify the color of thread (just made that mistake on my most recent quilt), and if she is providing the batting what she would recommend for the look you want. For example if the quilt is a child's or baby quilt I wouldn't want flat Warm and Natural batting but a nice poly with a bit of loft to make is a bit fluffy. On the other-hand if I have a "vintage" type quilt quilted I want a nice 80% cotton for that flat antique look.
Hope this helps and just make sure that you and your quilter are on the same page as to the look you want along with the price and other details!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Yes, Charisma does beautiful work -- but there are plenty other quilters out there!!!! My recommendation is to look for someone who has quilted a T-shirt quilt previously. They require special techniques and preparations. Follow above advice AND find out if the quilter is insured should something happen to the quilt.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Power Poster

when choosing a quilter- ask lots of questions- and look at examples of their work- everyone is different- and quilts differently-(has their own style)
some people like heavy quilting- and pretty much fill all space with quilting- some people do not like that much quilting and want something different- we are all different-of course pricing should be taken into consideration- what services are available-
threads- color changes- what's included?
i have pretty mixed customers- some do not want dense quilting - they just want a large- loopy- all over quilting- others like the more (quilt dependant dense quilting--like the beautiful quilting we see from Charisma. i have one customer- the first quilt i quilted for her i did like Charisma probably would have- when she picked it up she said---oh wow- that's beautiful! i sure wasn't expecting that---next time could you just put some wavy lines across it???
now i try to make sure i know exactly what they are expecting---since i spent hours that i obviously did not have to spend.
communication is the biggest key to working with a quilter successfully.