Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what to make from many 1/4 yard pieces

Quote Originally Posted by nightquilter View Post
    I have just received many 1/4 yard pieces of different fabrics.Some solid, print and some beautiful sceneary (sp) with summer, spring and fall scene.What pattern can I use to make the best use of this? I can not make myself cut those beautiful fabric into small pieces. any sugestions?

I'm assuming 42-45" wide?

Find a pleasing arrangement laying the pieces crosswise with the next strip above or below.
    Finish out by adding solid borders---------or maybe even the printed pieces facing the outer edge.

I can't think who I saw do this, and I can't remember what it was called, but someone (Nancy Zieman is my guess) made a really cute quilt by beginning in the center with a sandwich of fabric, batting, fabric. The next section (up or down) is added so that it's attached with no raw edges along the long side. You will have raw edges along the ends and when you reach the very top and very bottom.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I'm assuming 42-45" wide?

Find a pleasing arrangement laying the pieces crosswise with the next strip above or below.
    Finish out by adding solid borders---------or maybe even the printed pieces facing the outer edge.

I can't think who I saw do this, and I can't remember what it was called, but someone (Nancy Zieman is my guess) made a really cute quilt by beginning in the center with a sandwich of fabric, batting, fabric. The next section (up or down) is added so that it's attached with no raw edges along the long side. You will have raw edges along the ends and when you reach the very top and very bottom.

I take it that you mean "strip quilting"?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Not sure your meaning of strip quilting. Yes, the finished product will be 8"+/- wide strips that are WOF. Not little strips that have been cut down from your 9" strips.
    U N T I E

Not sure your meaning of strip quilting. Yes, the finished product will be 8"+/- wide strips that are WOF. Not little strips that have been cut down from your 9" strips. The following is what I'm trying to explain. I think. My computer is too slow to watch videos, but the finished product seems to be what I saw on TV. (hope the link works)

http://acuppaandacatchup.com/2011/03...uilt-tutorial/
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Not sure your meaning of strip quilting./
    Strip quilting is when you take two strips and stitch to the batting and backing.
    Flip out the one strip.
    Then, stitch another strip on, then flip.
    etc. til you are done.

At that point you might just be adding a binding ... or borders and binding ... or it might get cut into blocks for the next stage of the patter ... or be used in the body of a purse/bag, etc.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    pot holders, sounds good. keeping some and giving other maybe even little gifts.

Strip quilting is when you take two strips and stitch to the batting and backing.
    Flip out the one strip.
    Then, stitch another strip on, then flip.
    etc. til you are done.

At that point you might just be adding a binding ... or borders and binding ... or it might get cut into blocks for the next stage of the patter ... or be used in the body of a purse/bag, etc.
    That's what I meant--------------you described it soooooooooooo much better than I could.

OR as I saw on TV, the front and back are different each time.
    U N T I E

The quilt by Sandygirls is just right for that.

Blog Entries
    Thank you to all who sent sugestions. I really like Sandygirls quilt.I can see my fabric working well in that pattern, and I can work the size of the blocks on graph paper to get them how I want them. Thanks again!

I love the turning twenty quilts and there is a great verity out there in those patterns

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast