Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to make >

What to make

What to make

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM

All of my grandchildren live 14 hrs. away. My oldest grandson will be 14 yrs old after the first of the year. What do you make them when they are that old. I was thinking of making pj bottoms but don't know. I have soo much to get started on and don't have time right now to make a quilt. I will be working on one for them next year. Any ideas?

I have a good friend also that I am going to make a couple of things for. I am going to make her a cd holder and a trash bag for the car. I have two ideas of what fabric to use. She loves wolves. I was thinking of making them as a matching set and use the same fabric, or use different fabrics. And my last choice was since her car is blue do them in blues. What do you think?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 AM

Cell phone holders,grocery bags,long scarves,hat/scarf to match,pillow cases & the things you mentioned.Haven't a clue for boy gifts.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 AM

My son loves pillowcases...funky ones that go with absolutly nothing in his bedroom...like he has a rockstar themed one, and a fishing one, and a basketball one...and the list goes on and on...the only thing is that he likes them made from flannel, so they are "comfy cozy" Since you don't have time for a quilt, mabe think of his interests and make him a personalized pillowcase =)

My son is only 7...but it seems like a great idea, seeing as how my 36 yr old husband has his own special pillowcases as well.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 AM

I don't want to discourage you from stitching for your beloved grandchildren, but teen age boys are difficult to make anything for. Mine did appreciate a quilt but $ in a card to choose their own stuff might be easier on you and more appreciated than a hand stitched gift at this point. If they're that far away, the shipping is an issue too. I'd sew for my friend if I were you and write cheques for the teens.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 AM

pj bottoms with a coordinating t-shirt sounds perfect!

Another idea for the car is kleenex box covers.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 AM

My teenage son would sell his own mother for $5.00 (yes he would regret it come dinner time) so the money in the card is always his favorite. However as soon as the stores open the following day and he has nothing but 25 empty chip bags, 12 empty soda cans and a tummy ache to show for it, he always climbs into his flannel PJ bottoms and comes and tells me that I was right he should saved his money for something nice.
I have a recording on my cell phone with my son saying, "If I had I a nickel for every time mom was right and I was wrong, I would be a rich rich man." I will treasure that forever!

My sons favorite sewing gifts are: backpacks in his favorite NFL fabric, Ipod covers, pillowcases, Pj bottoms, Zip drive covers, CD cases, Nintendo DSI covers. Kids now days have soooo many electronics and they do not handle dust very well-plus the other kids at school think the personal covers are cool.
Kids know who gives what kind of gifts. My kids know if they want something from the heart they come to me and if they want their pockets lined they go to my husband. At christmas the following year they wont remember any money in the card, who gave it to them or what they bought with it, but they most likely will be wearing a very worn out pair of PJ bottoms secretly hoping one of those packages under the tree is containing a new pair.

As for your friend I think your on the right track.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:40 AM

My GS is almost 18 now, but 3 and 4 years ago,(and still), he loved the flannel boxers.I've made them in really nice woven flannel, the good stuff, and he loved them. He wore them to sleep in and to lounge around in. Last week-end I discovered that the 5 year old grandson likes his new boxers too( store bought) so I'll be making him some soon. They also like the flannel long loungers.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Find out what his interests are and make pj bottoms with theme fabric, maybe a matching pillow case? :D:D:D
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM

I used to make all my kids flannel sleep pants in cool prints, like with bacon and eggs on them, or football prints, etc. They loved them and wore them all the time.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 PM

My teenage nephew asked for flannel boxer shorts! I asked a local teenage boy to help choose the prints that would be seen in the locker room. What fun!
Best gift for any adult is a sturdy fabric tote bag.