Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what makes a difference with Etsy? >

what makes a difference with Etsy?

what makes a difference with Etsy?

Old 02-16-2013, 08:59 AM

Default what makes a difference with Etsy?

Hi everyone,

I have a question or two. I have noticed that there are several people who sell quilts on etsy. I know my friend sells quilts on etsy along with other things like some pre-cuts and hair bows. I noticed that on the items sold she has been selling the precuts, but none of her quilts, but I have noticed other quilt sellers who have sold quite a few quilts and was wondering what might make the difference. I have thought of making a few and trying to sell them on Etsy, if they won't sell I will use them as gifts. I do have one man that is having me make a quilt for his wife, and he promised he would promote my business for him. He paid me $11 more than what I had given him a bid for.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

If we could answer your question as to how to sell quilts, we'd all be rich.

I'm sure price, design, workmanship, all enter into the equation. Also the quality of the pictures, the wording of the ad. I don't sell on etsy, but when I go there to look for something I'm overwhelmed by how many shops come up. Surely getting your shop to appear near the top in a search for your items must be important in getting sales.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM

[h=1]You need luck or to put in the time and effort to build a client base. I searched the term "quilt" and got 258,819 hits so that is how much competition you would have.[/h]
Do you have local business that sell craft items that would sell your work?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 AM

The successful etsy sellers are also well versed in SEO, (Search Engine Optimization), or basically how to get found. Good pictures are hugely important. Also, bringing in views from outside of etsy through Facebook, Twitter, and other outside sources (such as handing out business cards) also helps. I have found it to be a lot of work and a lot of fun, and a continuous learning experience.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-16-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: removed personal website
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM

If I was going to do etsy, I would also try to have other options like doing little boutiques at open markets, and event to also sell what is not going as fast. Being your own business person is not always as easy as it sounds. Like some say, price design, color/fabric choice, type of product, ease of finding you amongst thousands of others will all play a role. What will set you apart from others.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM

I don't have any connection to Etsy, but I recently read in TIME or Newsweek or one of those mags that the look of Etsy is slowly edging out the small crafter for the larger mfgrs? I guess there is more money for them that way.......have any on you who are involved in Etsy noticed a different group of vendors? I am just curious to know how if what I read is true, not knowing anyone personally who deals with this vendor......
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Hi, I joined Etsy a few years ago. First year I sold no quilts. I reworked my site, took better photos and also adjusted my prices. I adjusted my prices since I was just paying a 40 percent commission to a gallery. I have sold 92 quilts on Etsy. Highest priced $1,800.00 lowest priced $50.00. I found that once I got the first sell and first feedback from that customers the quilts started selling. I always ship quickly, and give my customers a quality product. For me Eysy has worked. Etsy is a first rate place to sell art.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Etsy started out as a site for handmade items to sell. I've noticed it going toward more manufactured items now. Start a blog and show pictures and talk about your items and direct readers to your Etsy page to buy the items. Many well know quilters do this. It's easy to get hundreds of hits a day on a blog. Facebook your blog too. Thousands of people will see that everyday. Blog and Facebook are free, why not use them?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM

I keep stuff posted on Etsy that I haven't sold anywhere else and is lurking around the house anyway. I don't sell much - an occasional ornament at Christmas - but that is at least in part because I don't keep adding new stuff. At $0.20 per item for 4 months listing it is worth it to me just to have a place online I can send people to so they can see what sort of stuff I make. (Rather than setting up my own website, I mean.)

A few tips: 1.space out your new listings (even if you have ten ready to go on one day add them over a few days so that something new is popping up from your site all of the time)
2. make a treasury list (but don't feature your own things - that's cheesy). People will often check the treasury list maker's shop out of curiosity, and will then see your stuff.
3. don't be shy about favoriting other people's stuff. Even though other vendors are not your target customers any way you can cross-link with other vendors will increase your exposure. If someone goes to a vendor's site and likes their stuff the visitor may then go to the vendor's favorites....similar tastes and whatnot.

I wish your friend luck. Etsy is a great resource, and if you are willing to put the time into it, a great way to sell stuff.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I don't have any connection to Etsy, but I recently read in TIME or Newsweek or one of those mags that the look of Etsy is slowly edging out the small crafter for the larger mfgrs? I guess there is more money for them that way.......have any on you who are involved in Etsy noticed a different group of vendors? I am just curious to know how if what I read is true, not knowing anyone personally who deals with this vendor......
Definitely the vendor pool is changing, and it is clearly heading toward more commercial-looking vendors. What I am seeing is more like fabric stores selling through Etsy, though, and not large manufacturers.

Alison
Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM

I do have a facebook page, personal one, and I also have started a blog. My blog address is http://namasquilts.blogspot.com If I am not allowed to post it, please let me know. I only have a few quilts on there right now. I am in the process of getting some more finished. I decided to start doing this after my mother in law suggested I sell my quilts, and after a man ordered a quilt for his wife, and he told me that I do such excellent work.