Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a shop "worth" going to???? >

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

What makes a shop "worth" going to????

Old 08-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by calicojoan View Post
We have a great little shop that sells used fabrics at $5 a yard. They get it from estate sales, shop closures, etc. You can also take your fabrics in and they will purchase them for a small price. You get some wonderful quality fabrics at a great price. Problem is that one of the gals there is so sour and rude, that I refuse to go in the door anymore. It's worth it to pay retail to not deal with her!
I'd be tempted to get over that problem...... A word with the owner might help...maybe they don't know how much profit they might be losing because of one person's attitude, and a little customer care training might work wonders.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
A new quilt shop opened up exactly 20 miles from my house and I was thrilled to say the least. It was in the walkout basement of the owners house - very homey. The owner, a woman, sadly died about a year after their opening and her DH kept the shop open with the help of his wife's partner. Anyway, they had very good prices on their fabrics, especially batiks. I went in there as often as I had extra money. They all called me by my first name as I walked in the door and were very helpful. Then he decided to close the store and move to another town and started having their going out of business sales - 30% off the first month; 40% off the second month and 50% off their last month, December. I went at least once a week and bought armloads of fabric. I was writing so many checks that I started putting "WalMart" into my checkbook instead of "quilt shop" so my DH would not get so mad. I bought fabric for my DD's new obsession with clothesline bowls too. I think that I went 3 times in the last 50% off week. Each time was greeted by my first name. The very last day - it was just me and the owner in the store- and I wished him the best with his new "life" in his new town, etc. What did I receive from him - NOTHING!!! Not even a "thank you for all of your business" or anything like that. That really stung. When I got home I looked in my checkbook and I had spent around $500 there in the last month.
Perhaps he was so upset about closing it he couldn't trust himself to speak.....
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 AM

There is a quilt shop in Foley MN, it is very small, but is large on service. Barb Erickson is a fabulous person. Friendly and helpful. That makes me want to shop there.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 AM

1. Selection, I have to have choices. I need yellow and you have 1 bolt of yellow fabric, I'm gone.

2. Friendly, helpful, knowledgeable staff BUT not smothering. Please don't follow me around and tell me I need blue fabric when I am looking for brown. I really don't care you used the same fabric I have in a quilt in your book on page 4 with blue, I want brown and no I do not wish to purchase your book signed or unsigned so stop waving it in my face. This is a true story and the fabric I was looking for brown to use with is still in my stash because I was so frustrated when I walked out I never wanted to look at the fabric again. Some day I will pull it out and find the perfect brown.

3. Lighting, do not direct me to the 1 tiny unobstructed window in the shop to see what the color actually is.

4. Uncluttered, arranged well, completed quilts that you actually have patterns for.

That said I always at least walk in and look around you never know what gems you may find in a new shop. How long I stay and if I go back or recommend a shop depends on the above.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dottiequilts View Post
My favorite quilt shop is Loose Threads in Milton, WI. The owner Mary Kay is friendly and knowledgable. Her quilt store offers fabric for every taste and it's arranged artfully and in a manner than makes sense. She has quilts and projects on display everywere. There are books and gadgets and going there is like visiting a friend. We have over ten quilt stores within a one hour radius, yet she gets most of my business. When I go to other stores when we travel, I constantly think that they should take lessons from her.
My favorite is just like that - it's in Auburn, Maine and though I don't get there a lot now we've moved away I make a point of going every time we are there and I bought from her at the quilt show too. It's a pleasant shop with lots of excellent samples they have made themselves, friendly people who recall who I am and take time to explain what they are making, and have good ideas for color selection if I ask and a table where I can pull up a chair and chat for a while...they do classes too. All in an a Quiltessential place to be when in town.