Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a mess - advice needed >

What a mess - advice needed

What a mess - advice needed

Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 AM

I am a longarm quilter and offered a basting service for my clients. I used to baste a queen quilt for 35.00.
Perhaps, you could ask your local longarm quilter if they offer such a service.
Otherwise, I used to tape/pin my backings to the floor to assure that the backing was taunt enough.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 AM

I use basting spray only now. I didn't think I would like running "glue" through my machine, but it's works great and I've never had any residue left. Just fold your quilt in quarters and do it one section at a time.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Neesie, your way sounds like what i could do. The other ways all sound harder. sinceit is glued it makes sense lyou could just flip and do other side. Thanks may try that next time. If it doesn't work I can just wash gently and the glue goes away. cool......
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 AM

I tape the backing down on the floor then I layer and baste. Not always the most convenient because your on the floor for awhile and in my case I take up the whole kitchen floor so DH has no kitchen access while I am at it. But based on the layout of the house etc. it's the best i can do for now.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM

I , too, use only the basting spray. It is wonderful stuff & if by chance get a wrinkle in the backing, you can fix it with no problem. With the basting spray, no pins are needed. I do tape my backing to the floor, or a wall would work also, spray it in half sections lay down the batting & smooth out. Then spray the batting & lay down the top & smooth out. It all stays together with not pinning.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
When I used to put my back on the floor, I would smooth it out and tape the edges down with masking/ painters tape to the floor. You want it taut but not stretched or the the back will rebound from the stretch when you take it off the floor. I put pins through the tape that is on the fabric edge so it doesn't peel off until I am done. Then I smooth out the batt and top and start to bast. You put a marble under the backing so that you can roll it along as you bast so that you have room to put the pins in or the needle for thread basting.
I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible most of the time now and the sandwich has to be ironed instead of pins. I do this on the old carpet in the basement.
What a great idea the marble is! I'd never heard of this before. I pin and/or baste on a table but the idea still works. Glad to know this. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I tried a variety of methods before finding basting spray. Basting spray is all I use anymore. Aside from being much faster, it allows me to "correct" any wrinkles. The problem you encountered when turning over your quilt would have been easily correctable with basting spray.
Me too only after I spray baste, I use Pinmoors to anchor sections...life is actually wonderful since I began basting this way. Before...ugh...I loathed basting.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 AM

I do the same thing as the you-tube video. I can do it pretty quick now..
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 AM

spray baste, it's the easiest way. all 3 layers stay together and no shifting
Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
I have said it before and will say it again....I use Elmers School Glue to baste my quilts together works like a charm.
Layer backing, batting and top as usual, but you are only going to be doing doing one side at a time so no wrinkles....
I fold my top back to the center of the top (a row of pins here helps) then thin drizzle of glue maybe 12-18" down. Smooth the top down nice and smooth....flip back to end of glue and drizzle more glue. When finished with one half
of top...do the other half.....then wait maybe an hour to give the glue a chance to set and then flip it over, smooth the back down nicely....flip to center and start all over again....when finished with the back I let it sit for several hours or over night just to make sure everything is dry and set.... I free motion quilt all my quilts on my home machine with no problems, my needle does not get gummy, no 'hard spots'.....and when I am done with my quilt I wash it (I personally love the look of a wrinkled/washed quilt) and all the glue is gone.....
Reminder: make sure you purchase and use only Elmers SCHOOL glue...that states washable.
I use Sulky spray in the same manner. You can reposition as needed, smooth & recheck. love it