Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is "Modern" Quilting? - need help with a definition! >

What is "Modern" Quilting? - need help with a definition!

What is "Modern" Quilting? - need help with a definition!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

From MayInJersey and Tashana's posts ....
Modern quilts and quilters:

Make primarily functional rather than decorative quilts

I was surprised at this ... traditional quilts were very functional ... and to me, it seems that the more modern quilts have headed towards art and decorative, non-functionality.

Yes, JIMHO!
(and a further endorsement as to why clear definitions are important!)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 AM

Each Modern Quild Guild has it's own "definition" of what constitutes Modern Quilting...and by doing so, defies a broad definition. Do you have a lot of modern quilters in your area? Is there an MQ guild? Ask them for guidance. Send a PM to Holice and ask his advice, both from the judging standpoint and the MQ movement standpoint. He's very interested in it and is soaking up knowledge.

Many 'modern quilters' use very traditional patterns with modern fabrics and bolder colors. Where would you 'categorize' them? Are you sure you're ready to judge modern quilts separately from traditional quilts? They are not art quilts by a long shot. It is merely a contemporary style using mostly traditional construction techniques. Is there a separate category for civil war quilts or 1930's quilts? Just playing devil's advocate...not criticizing. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I admit I have no clue what is modern or not. Doubt I have made any.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Each Modern Quild Guild has it's own "definition" of what constitutes Modern Quilting...and by doing so, defies a broad definition. Do you have a lot of modern quilters in your area? Is there an MQ guild? Ask them for guidance. Send a PM to Holice and ask his advice, both from the judging standpoint and the MQ movement standpoint. He's very interested in it and is soaking up knowledge.

Many 'modern quilters' use very traditional patterns with modern fabrics and bolder colors. Where would you 'categorize' them? Are you sure you're ready to judge modern quilts separately from traditional quilts? They are not art quilts by a long shot. It is merely a contemporary style using mostly traditional construction techniques. Is there a separate category for civil war quilts or 1930's quilts? Just playing devil's advocate...not criticizing. Best of luck to you.
Good Thoughts .... and too, some would call "modern" quilts .... any that are made with those new fandangled rotary cutters!!! Or where assembly line sewing was done? Or nesting of seams (my Mother would be totally disgusted!)? or or or ........

*gasp* Horrors of Horrors!

What would our Mothers/Grandmother's think?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Talk about a can of worms. I think this is one of those "I know it when I see it" type things. And making a functional rather than decorative quilt doesn't fall into that category for me. Perhaps when taken with all the other criteria it works as Modern. Many of the "modern" quilts I've seen a guild are decorative. At least I consider it decorative when it was designed to hang on a wall. But then again, if the quilt was designed to brighten up a space by hanging it on the wall -- wouldn't that be functional?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Personally, I think it's a distinction without a difference.

http://courses.csusm.edu/fallacies/phantom.htm
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Is there a "like" button for dunster's comment?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Personally, I think it's a distinction without a difference.
Yeah, exactly! That's what I was trying to say...but made a mess of. *blush*
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM

The new September/October 2012 issue of McCall's Quilting has an informative article about "Modern Quilting". There is an overview of the devopment of the movement and it's principles.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

My strong advice is not to add a separate category. I believe there will be less confusion on all parties if there is not a separate category - primarily due to the fuzziness of what it is.