Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is "Modern" Quilting? - need help with a definition! >

What is "Modern" Quilting? - need help with a definition!

What is "Modern" Quilting? - need help with a definition!

Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
To keep is simple: We "all" understand what a traditional quilt is. Anything "outside" the "traditional box" is a "modern quilt." To be fair to your entrants: Have separate categories for hand quilting, domestic machine quilting, mid arm quilting, and long arm quilting. This is the thing that really bugs me at quilt shows - "lumping" all into just one category. By having more quilting method categories will automatically categorize many of the quilts. Also, as long as I'm at it: Would love to see another category that includes quilts quilted by other than the maker of the quilt top. Really irritates the crap out of me to see professionally quilted quilts win "Best of Show" awards when the maker of the top sent it out to be "professionally" quilted.

Aren't you being a little too assumptive here??

If you read the previous posts there has been lots of discussion as to what "traditional" REALLY is?
Thus NO ... we don't "all" agree on traditional.

As for classes at shows ...
Some allow only quilts that are made beginning to end by one person. Some allow many hands along the way.
Sometimes they are designated classes for each variable. Sometimes all lumped together.
Those shows have made their decisions re classes and that's their choices.
So long as they "define" the class distinctions, I fully respect whatever their choices are.

The only way things can change, is if you and others discuss it with them.
I've seen shows that have made the changes after getting feedback ... and no doubt MUCH discussion within their organizing group.

While maybe not in your locale, many shows do have separate classes for different quilting methods.

PS ... Many times I've seen the professionally quilted quilt NOT receive Best of Show.
And when it has ... it has shown the exceptional talents of both the piecer and the quilter.
What's wrong with that?? ... when it's clearly The BEST of Show!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM

Good one, QuiltE ! I like your definition !

I'm just not so sure about "modern" quilters and all their "original designs" ... while I DO like a lot of the quilts, and it's great to see 20-30 yr old new quilters ... I have to chuckle when I read about their exclusive "designs". IMHO some are a bit full of themselves too ... LOL
So many "modern" quilts are just basic nine patches, squares, or strips turned different ways ... these are the most elemental blocks from 150 years ago, and nothing that hasn't been DONE BEFORE 10,000X over in utility and scrap quilts. They look different in today's bold prints, or solids with all the white or gray settings. Many are close copies of what quilters like Nancy Crow, Yvonne Porcella etc were doing 20 years ago !
There are very few truly "original" blocks or settings, other than applique ... pieced blocks have been done and REdone for close to 200 years !!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-13-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

From MayInJersey and Tashana's posts ....
Modern quilts and quilters:

Make primarily functional rather than decorative quilts

I was surprised at this ... traditional quilts were very functional ... and to me, it seems that the more modern quilts have headed towards art and decorative, non-functionality.

Yes, JIMHO!
(and a further endorsement as to why clear definitions are important!)
Actually, each and every qualification they list for a "modern" quilt would apply to the entire Gee's Bend grouping and style. Maybe that's why the quilts were in the museum in New York City.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 AM

There is a nice article by Weeks Ringle in the September 2012 issue of American Quilter magazine about Modern Quilting. There will be another one next issue and she has a website www.modernquiltstudio.com.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
Good one, QuiltE ! I like your definition !
Thanks! though I'm not sure what definition I put forth?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
To keep is simple: We "all" understand what a traditional quilt is. Anything "outside" the "traditional box" is a "modern quilt." To be fair to your entrants: Have separate categories for hand quilting, domestic machine quilting, mid arm quilting, and long arm quilting. This is the thing that really bugs me at quilt shows - "lumping" all into just one category. By having more quilting method categories will automatically categorize many of the quilts. Also, as long as I'm at it: Would love to see another category that includes quilts quilted by other than the maker of the quilt top. Really irritates the crap out of me to see professionally quilted quilts win "Best of Show" awards when the maker of the top sent it out to be "professionally" quilted.
If quilt shows upset you so much, why do you go?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned

A book "Sunday Morning Quilts" by Nyberg defines it as: Large scale, no borders, clean and simple and use of negative.
Suggest looking at www.quiltcon.com and see how they define categories. This is the Convention in Texas next year organized by The Modern Quilt Guild.