Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is a mystery quilt? >

what is a mystery quilt?

what is a mystery quilt?

Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM

I love mystery quilts and Bonnie Hunter would be a great place for you to start. She's scrappy so choosing fabrics is easy...you choose by color family, not a single fabric. For example, blues scraps totaling a yard. Bonnie usually starts the day after Thanksgiving, then a new clue every week till New Year. Last years Celtic Solstice is stunning!
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I did a mystery quilt wall hanging once. It came out okay but I prefer to KNOW what I am making because that would have helped me choose either different fabrics or put them in different places. If you are the adventurous type you may love it!!
I agree. I saw too many quilters be so disappointed with the final results of the mystery quilt. Not know what should go where is outside my comfort zone.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM

I am doing a mystery quilt right now, but I think it is a little different than the ones you all have talked about. It's called M is for Mystery, thru Homestead Hearth Quilt Shop. It's sort of like a BOM. Every month I get different fabrics and instructions on what to do with them. I am not making blocks. The fabrics have been just beautiful. I can't wait to see what it will look like!!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM

nammie - your quilts are beautiful!
Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
On this board we have a mystery train ride. I have never participated but everyone that does seems to have a great time and make a nice quilt.
You can do a search here and see how one progresses.
Here is the last one they did.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...d-t240020.html
You can find more under the Blocks of the month and week forum.
It sounds like another is starting in September.
I've done several of these mysteries here on the QB. If you put "mystery train" in the search box at the top of the page, it will pop up with the mysteries done here. Judy does them and they have all been fun. Check them out to see if you want to join the next one. Or do one of the old ones.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 PM

I'm addicted to mystery quilts! In the 4 years I have been quilting, I think I have made 4 Quilters Club of America's mystery quilts. I made Kimberly Einmo's Craftsy Mystery quilt and loved it. I'm a real Kimberly Einmo fan! When Craftsy started their mystery quilt of the month, I just couldn't resist. I think I have made 8 of those. I like the mystery quilts because they are designs and fabrics that, never in a million years, would I select. When the Craftsy mystery quilt is revealed, I say, "I can't believe I am going to make that!" But I find that I can make the quilt, I learn new skills, and when the quilt is finished, I find that I actually like it. Also, I can find someone to give it to who likes the quilt. This week, I finished the August Craftsy quilt. It was a BOM design that used Jinny Beyer fabric on a black background. I love Jinny Beyer fabric; but I would never have selected a black background. I didn't realize how a black background makes the colors pop. Thanks to making that quilt, I will no longer exclude black as a background color. Also, I learned to make some interesting blocks as I made the quilt. I can't wait to start next month's Craftsy quilt. It is by Amy Gibson. Making mystery quilts has forced me to expand my quilting horizons.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 AM

We recently did a Bento Box for a Mystery Quilt in our guild. Several did not want to make the cut for the final step. Most at least tried one block, and liked the result so much, they cut all of them. It is always interesting to see the different fabric choices and the final outcomes. My favorite one on here was Train Ride #5. It was scrappy and fun.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 AM

I have done 2 Craftsy mysteries and loved both. I did not like the fabrics recommended last year so decided to do a red, white and blue and collected fat quarters in these three colours - it turned out good. Last year Sulky did a mystery wall hanging entitled "I love sewing" - this was super and I made mine from all scraps I had so I had no extra monetary lay-out. I think the sulky one is still there to view and do if required. I love this board.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 AM

The Mystery quilts I've done have been so much fun. I'm totally addicted! I participated in Judy's Train Ride #6 and had a ball. All you have to do is read through the thread to get a feel for how much fun we had. Judy's a great instructor and she makes everyone feel welcome. I have also made a couple of Bonnie Hunter's and Jabba and Elizabrat's Medallion here on the Board. One of the surprise benefits is they help break the old mind sets and open your mind to new possibilities.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 AM

That is one gorgeous quilt.