Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What needle for hand sewing binding? >

What needle for hand sewing binding?

What needle for hand sewing binding?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 AM

Question What needle for hand sewing binding?

It's no secret I hate hand sewing ((shudder)) - even sewing buttons on by machine if I can - but I do hand sew some quilt bindings. I just prefer the look of them, so grit my teeth and get on with it.

I've read a bit about different types - sharps, betweens, etc, but no idea of what I should be using, or indeed size............ What type of needle is best?

(A Magic Needle suggestion that would do the sewing for you would be great!)

Also, I just use ordinary piecing thread, usually Aurifil. Should I be using coated quilting thread?

Thanks folks.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:35 AM

I like to do hand sewing. My go to needle is the 'between' or quilting needle. I use the size 7 or 9. I thread up several at the same time for convenience. It is short and easy to manage as I do binding. I use a thread length of about 18 inches so that it is easy on my arm as I pull it through (also saves time because I don't have to pull so far). It also minimizes shredding the thread because of too many trips through the fabric. I like to do a non-visible knot every ten or twelve stitches so that if the thread breaks later with wear or snag that it won't come out very far. I also prefer to use a cotton wrapped poly thread to sew the binding down because it is stronger than 100% cotton. I think the biggest mistake people make in regard to hand sewing is unsing needles that are too large.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:26 AM

For sewing the binding I use whatever needle is handy at the time. Granted, that's usually a between as I hand quilt, but sometimes not. Sometimes I use hand quilting thread, sometimes just general sewing thread...whatever is the correct color for what I'm sewing.

As to mending (sewing buttons, etc.) I hate that! But for all purpose hand sewing, I use any general hand sewing needle that is close to the correct size for the job. Now that really didn't help much, did it? Sorry.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 AM

I use betweens when I bind, and a regular piecing thread.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:06 AM

I like the "straw" needle. It is very thin and long. Just my opinion. But lately I have been doing my bindings by machine totally. Especially if it is for a child who will use and abuse it. Put it on the back bring it to the front and use a decorative stitch. Saves time for me
Old 01-06-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
For sewing the binding I use whatever needle is handy at the time.
That's exactly what I am doing! Although I'm sure it's no problem to use hand quilting thread I use regular piecing thread - it's cheaper!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I also enjoy the hand sewing down of a binding and I use any needle handy and any thread that matches.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 AM

I don't like hand sewing either, but I do sometimes stitch down the backside of the binding by hand after I've attached it to the front with my machine. I like a very short needle for stitching down binding, it's easier for me to get smaller stitch length that way.

Rob
Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 AM

Does everyone use 1 strand of thread for binding by hand or 2 strands of thread?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:32 AM

I typically use a 50wt Aurifil with the needles I have on hand -- typically size 10 John James Gold'n Glide Milliners, or sometimes their Gold'n Glide Applique needles. I like the Teflon coating. Much easier to push the needle through the fabric. I usually do run the thread through beeswax just to keep it from tangling since I like to use longer pieces of thread.

I've done bindings with quilting needles & with coated hand quilting thread. I find it a bit more difficult to work with the binding using the thicker coated thread, but I've only worked with Americana hand quilting thread on bindings so I can't say for sure if that's the case with all hand quilting threads.