Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What needles do you  use? >
  • What needles do you use?

• What needles do you use?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM

When I bought my very expensive, to me, Elna my supplier, and the 1st workshop I attended really emphasized the importance and care of needles. This is something I have taught my class as my supplier said that up to 80% of the machines he gets bought in have problems due to incorrect or needle problems.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97057-1.htm This topic bought it to mind as one of my ladies, trying to save a few pennies was using on of those cheapies found in a multi sewing box and there was a sudden horrific clunk and her machine went sick, as it turned out terminally so, as it damaged the bobbin case/holder and timing and although it was a £300 Singer it really was not worthwhile having it mended, she ended up buying from a Car boot sale, for £20 :shock: a gorgeous old Singer 99K, lucky lady.

I only use Schmetz on my Elna but for my class I decided to try out Organ needles as I could get them for £10 per 100 and have noticed no difference in quality.

What do you use?
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

I use Schmetz, Organ or Klasse. They all work great in all of my machines. Although my Brother Emb machine really really likes the Organ and he isn't so loud when I use them either. I got rid of all my old brand unknown and Singer needles when I purchase my first expensive machine.
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:04 AM
    Power Poster

I use many different brands of needles. To me it is important to change them, especially if there is any chance that I did something that could have bent/damaged the needle. I am afraid of that doing damage to my machine in the bobbin area.

I am not sure why a cheap brand of needle would damage my machine? I know that some may stay sharp longer, but I wasn't aware of any other major differences in them. :D:D:D
    Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 AM

I use either Schmetz or Organ. It's also important to match the needle size with the thread and project.

And change your needle regularly!!!
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 AM

I use mostly Schmetz, but I have Klasse that I won and Organs that came with machine purchases and Inspira that I bought with a machine. What should I do with old but unused Singer needles?
    Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
    Power Poster

Organ are excellent needles. I switched to titanium coated Organ needles. They stay sharp so long they save me money. I buy them online anywhere there is a sale. I bought a batch of needles from Ebay, suppose to be top quality. I threw them all out. Unless they are new in sealed packages I won't use them from Ebay. One thing about older Singer machines. Singer needles are a smidgen bit different in length so the Singer needles need to be used in them. That will solve a lot of stitch/bobbin problems that seem to crop up every so often.
    Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
    I use mostly Schmetz, but I have Klasse that I won and Organs that came with machine purchases and Inspira that I bought with a machine. What should I do with old but unused Singer needles?
    You can use them if you want to. I was advised not to as the steel is below grade in the cheap needles. May bend easier, I found some not to long ago that I still had and used them in my 301, She likes anything.. :thumbup:
    Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM

i use all different brands of needles
    Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
    Banned

I use Schmetz and Organ. I like them both.
    Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM

I am guilty of not taken enough care of my needles. If they are straight and piercing my fabrics without skipping stitches I use them until they break. I also tend to use the smallest size possible for the job, so I find myself using size 65 or 70 unless I am using 40wt thread, when I save my needle and switch to a larger one to prevent fraying. If I do notice anything wrong, like skipped stitches, broken threads etc, I change the needle right away.