Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What needles to use

I am new at quilting and sewing. I don't know anything about what needles to use. Can any of you help me please? Thank you.

Dianne

Are you talking about sewing machine needles or hand sewing/quilting needles. There are many out there. Marge

lin
    If you're going to be hand quilting use the needles called "betweens". They come in a variety of sizes. The larger the size number, the smaller the needle. I started with a size 9, but I think they go up to a size 5.

I just use a Universal 90/14 in my sewing machine when I piece.

I like a Universal 11 in my machine for piecing and a 12 for quilting (on the machine).

My favorite brand of handquilting (betweens) needles are Piecemakers. Size 8 is a good one for beginners.

I have been very surprised and the differences in needles. I used to think that Universals were simply "less sharp", but the shank and the eye of the needle are different too. The Schmetz needles where recommended to me, and I've been getting the 90/14 quilting/piecing ones and while they are a bit more money ($5 vs $3) I have been quite happy with them. In the future I plan to have both Schmetz Universal and Schmetz piecing on hand. The 14 is better for the types of fabric I've been using so I'll be sticking with it.

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/sewing-needles.php That is a chart I found very helpful for understanding the different types of needles and how they are different. (FYI I haven't ever ordered from that company).

I was given some dritz sewing machine needles a few months ago, and honestly I hated them as they seemed to love BREAKING while I was machine quilting, and nothing is nastier than trying to find bits of needle in a nearly completed quilt. They might have been a thinner shank, but I wont be going there any time soon.