I had to laugh when I was writing a new quilter earlier today. I told her that whatever she was doing would be fine, we'd all been there before and how I had to keep the selvage on every piece of fabric, since it truly was the only way I could sew a "straight" line :lol:
I started thinking about it and had a few other rookie mistakes on my list and was wondering what everyone else thought.
1. not being able to sew without the selvage as the guide or as the material used LMAO
2. still not being able to follow a sewing pattern---I'm more the make it up as I go along type except block patterns (although I may fudge a part or two if it suits me) LOL as long as you're consistent it will turn out.
3. my first shot at applique I completely jammed my machine by using totally the wrong interfacing and I had to let it sit a good couple of days before attempting to pull the mess out because I was so peeved....yeah, this just happend :lol: it's a little to fresh in my mind to be completely funny but some of you can appreciate it
4. buying the wrong @)($$* stuff for the machine because I just didn't know the difference. Anyone interested in a nice, new, walking foot?
5. not being able to do something new without a visual---no longer a major issue, thanks to the fantastic tutorial section. I'm freakishly visual.
6. not taking time to bother with that pesky measuring jazz and then getting frustrated when the stuff doesn't come out perfect in the end (not that it's perfect now, mind you, but somewhat closer at least)
7. 1/4 inch? Who came up with that one?!? I used to enjoy nice, large seams that weren't exactly straight, but oh so easy to pull and re-sew. now I have rules and masking tape on my pretty machine.
8. not saving scraps in the begining...to think of all the material I wasted when I was first learning to sew/quilt....ugh it makes my stomach turn. :roll:
9. having a hard time remembering my coupons on the sale days....no longer an issue and trust me, I KNOW I'll have my 40% coupons when they come and can put a project off to wait for the supply I refuse to pay full price for.
10. not being able to unwrap fat quarters when I first bought them...some of them had sticky label goo on them because I waited so long to unfold the precious goods. I wash without fabric softener and then press before anything goes into my stacks. I was a fabric collector rather than a quilter back then---but that's ok----live and learn.