Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What Not To Do

I have been sewing all my life and should have known better. I am working on a southwest style quilt and had some beautiful suede cloth and thought it would be neat to use for the back. It was just the right color but it did have a tricot backing. I thought if I was careful I could make it work----not. No matter how much I pinned and basted it still bunched and puckered. After finishing 3/4 of it I decided it had to come off. I wore out two razor blades and my fingertips but finally got it off and am in the process of requilting now.

Blog Entries
    oh, so sorry. i've only used it in small applique pieces on a jacket. did invisible thread on it and it worked fine. that was on my old Singer machine.

I learn something new on every quilt I make. Some lessons are more painful than others. I am glad you stuck to it and took off the backing that did not work. Show us your quilt when you are done!!

I'm new to quilting and am making a faux suede quilt for my grandson. Both the front and the back and all applique pieces are of the suede, in different colors of course. I just read your post and now am concerned about using the suede cloth for the back. I was going to use poly batting in between because I have lots of that right now. Should I switch to a cotton backing? Thanks

Is your suede the type that has a knit tricot backing? If it gives when you stretch it then you will probably have the same trouble I had. I don't know if spray basting would work on it or not. You might consider a quilt as you go. That is where you quilt individual blocks and then sew the whole thing together. I hope my answer works for you. I would hate to see you get it almost finished and then have a disaster. I used cotton batting with 20 percent poly.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppi duke
    I have been sewing all my life and should have known better. I am working on a southwest style quilt and had some beautiful suede cloth and thought it would be neat to use for the back. It was just the right color but it did have a tricot backing. I thought if I was careful I could make it work----not. No matter how much I pinned and basted it still bunched and puckered. After finishing 3/4 of it I decided it had to come off. I wore out two razor blades and my fingertips but finally got it off and am in the process of requilting now.
    so sorry, all that work...

Sorry you had to take the back off, but you have taught the rest of us not to do the same thing - thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. I recently noticed that faux suede conforters have cotton backs. That must be the reason!!

Thanks for the heads up!