Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Order to use for block placement in a quilt >

What Order to use for block placement in a quilt

What Order to use for block placement in a quilt

Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 PM

Default What Order to use for block placement in a quilt

I am working on a quilt top of embroidered state flower blocks. My aunt (who is 87) embroidered the blocks, but I am trying to assemble the top. My question is, in what order should the blocks be placed. I had considered alphabetical order, left to right for each horizontal row, but being a rank amateur I'm not sure how it should be done. I also thought how neat it would be to place the blocks in the order each state was admitted to the union, but that would involve a WHALE OF A LOT OF RESEARCH!

Your advice would be appreciated.

Jeanette
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

I would simply arrange the blocks in a pleasing way.

You can Google "state flower quilt" and then click on "images" to see how others have done it. I don't think there are any rules!

I found this website where she placed her flowers in alphabetical order by state (but it was easy because the 2-letter abbreviation for each state was embroidered on the corresponding flower):
http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com/tu...uilt-show.html

Last edited by Prism99; 08-01-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Prism,

Each block has the state name, and the flower (but not the name of the flower). Alphabetical arrangement is easy -- but I'm going to have to do some artistic work to use all the blocks and fill in where there won't be enough state blocks to make the quilt! I think I'll embroider some roses (I have some beautiful rose iron-on embroidery transfers, and with one rose block in each corner, the number of blocks work out even. Then, I can work on my borders, etc.

Jeanette
Old 08-01-2014, 10:51 PM

Here is the link to the list of states as they entered the Union if you want to consider putting your blocks in that order instead of alphabetical. Please post a picture when you finish it, looking forward to seeing it! http://americanhistory.about.com/od/..._admission.htm
Old 08-02-2014, 02:05 AM

The roses in the corner are a great idea. I think I would lean toward arranging them in alphabetical order. Years from now people might night recognize that you used the date the entered they union and wonder why you arranged the quilt that way. UNLESS you put a nice label on the back with the information, which would make your quilt really special. Either way I think it will be beautiful and so great that you are using the blocks.😃
Old 08-02-2014, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I still like the alphabetical. If anyone looking at the quilt wants to find their state flower, it is easy.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
Here is the link to the list of states as they entered the Union if you want to consider putting your blocks in that order instead of alphabetical. Please post a picture when you finish it, looking forward to seeing it! http://americanhistory.about.com/od/..._admission.htm
Thank you for giving this site. I copied it because I am rearing two grandchildren (now teens) who may benefit from this sometime in their educational endeavors.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM

I think you should lay them out when you're ready and see what looks pleasing to your eye. No rules....so you can do whatever you like.
However.....if you decide to do the "entered the Union" method....maybe you'd want to add the year to the block?? just a thought.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

This is a really tough decision but I think I am leaning more towards what is pleasing to the eye. You wouldn't want to be stuck with the same flower next to each other. Good luck and I hope you post a photo!!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 AM

I lay my blocks on the family room floor, ponder, move them around, ponder. This may take several days......strange as it sounds, "they" tell me who they want for neighbors. Has worked every time...........