Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What other tips am I missing? >

What other tips am I missing?

What other tips am I missing?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
I've only used the Elmer's Washable school glue on a binding but on the Missouri Star Quilt Forum yesterday someone shared that she used a mini paint roller and the glue to baste her quilt. Much faster than a paint brush or squeezing the glue out of the bottle.
That's a great idea! Washable school glue basting IS the best tip that I use all the time in my quilting.

Knitette, I always get turned around, so the your pinning system will really help, thanks for posting this topic.

AudreyB, your quilt tip is great too with numbering flower head pins and keeping them in a separate pin cushion. Thanks.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 05-29-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 AM

Great tip! Thanks!

Currently I use those return address labels that come (unwanted) in the mail. I cut them into 2 or 3 pieces each, and then number them 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc. with a sharpie.

Another idea I'd seen recently was to use chalk to number the pieces. But I don't know...I wonder if it would wear off too quickly.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Really curious as to where you found the beads. I could never find anything but the round and they were a mess to try to mark.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 AM
pal

My favorite tip is from one of our friends here at the QB re: hand quiltling. Thread ten needles at a time, leaving the thread on the spool then pull the needle and the thread off at the same time - leaving 9 threaded needles in your pin cushion ready to use.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Madgie Rae View Post
Really curious as to where you found the beads. I could never find anything but the round and they were a mess to try to mark.
I bought the numbered beads on eBay UK, but there's a link to eBay US here for the numbered ones. I also have a set of alphabet ones too - some sellers will sell these A-Z already sorted. You could also try craft shops like Hobby Lobby.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:22 AM

I also use the number system, but I have to lay my quilt out on the floor (no design board)
So I number the first block, than pin each block together down the row. Upper right hand corner to upper left hand corner, when you have the whole row pinned together in a strip take it to the machine and sew chain style together.
Works for me. Thanks for all the great tips.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Great tips for me. I always take a picture after mine is laid out so I can remember - and luckily, I already have the clothespins and butterfly topped pins mentioned here. A little secret BETWEEN US GIRLS - I bought a girdle recently I really liked and took a picture of it along with the tag so I can find another one like it!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 PM

I have started to use a coffee cup for my spools of thread that are usually put on horizontally, like the connecting threads spools. since i'm using an older sm that has vertical spindles. otherwise, the thread st slides off the spool. another tip , since I spray baste my quilts on the design wall, I have to smooth it down. I used our week end newspaper that was in it's plastic bag, just like you would use a brush when wallpapering, smoothing from the top or middle down. works a treat!

Last edited by nancia; 05-29-2014 at 02:02 PM.