Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the primary purpose of a sewing retreat? >

What is the primary purpose of a sewing retreat?

What is the primary purpose of a sewing retreat?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:07 AM

I love, love, LOVE strawberry ice cream! :-)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Because it is FUN. Our group goes once a year to the mountains, we are desert dwellers. Usually 12 of us, sew in pj's, eat when we want, go to bed when we want. No cleaning, except on the last day.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Usually someone cooks for you. There's no laundry calling you. There's no one asking you where you put his chain saw oil. Like you actually have used it, then hid it.
LOL!! Where you hiding at my house, listening to me and my hubby?!?

I am hoping to go on my first retreat ever in May. This particular retreat will be focusing on Judy Niemeyer products, with a certified JN Instructor on hand to assist. HOWEVER... we don't HAVE to be working on a JN project.

As a newbie to both JN projects AND to quilting retreats in general, I'm looking forward to getting away from all the usual stuff at home, as well as getting to know my longarm quilting friends better (I only see them every other month), and getting some instruction... all while having a beautiful place to relax in, have someone else do the cooking, and spending time with a bunch of women who are not my co-workers.

Gosh, I'm ready to go now!!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

What happens if your other half quilts and wants to go, too?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM

I love that there are others that 'speak my language'. I am tired of having to explain WHY I sew,quilt, knit. I don't have to explain WHY I collect fabric/yarn/rulers/books/old sewing machines...OR why I don't quilt to 'pay for my long arm". I get quite defense about this and have been known to quip back 'how many people do you take out on your BOAT to pay for it'?? :::sorry...YOU didn't say this to me did you?! Off my soap box now!::::

PS I LOVED the chain saw oil quote!!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
What happens if your other half quilts and wants to go, too?
That's a tough one. How do you feel about that?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
There's no one asking you where you put his chain saw oil. Like you actually have used it, then hid it.
Now I can see that. I hear that motor oil can take relatively high heat. A good possibility for stir fry. lol

There are two kinds of retreats - one where everyone works on their own projects and one where there are classes offered. I have been to both. The ones where I work on my own stuff is best for great locations or meeting up with friends. The one with planned classes is better when I don't know the people well. I find joy either way. It's quilting in a fellowship. Sometimes I need to leave my sewing cave.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I like being around other people who like the same things I do. My DH enjoys the results of my quilting, but he can't relate to the challenges or the fun of the creation. I also find the focused time is very beneficial. I know there is nothing else I need to do but sew, take breaks when I want to, eat someone else's good cooking, and sleep when I want. It is quite liberating. I am not a person who can have just one project though. If I concentrate too long and hard on one thing, I end up making mistakes! I bring one big project and two or three little ones. The small ones are frequently small gifts or charity projects. I also bring my Kindle and read some to take breaks.

The only real problem I have is ergonomic. I have discovered I need to bring my Gidgit table and my own chair. The folding tables and chairs supplied by my American Sewing Guild organizers just kill my back after a bit.

Pam
oh my, Pam, you hit the jackpot on that comment! I attended a retreat 2 years ago and left with a stiff neck and back. Last year I completely forgot about the discomfort and suffered sciatic nerve damage. Spent 6 weeks at the chiropractor. Finally was able to unkink myself and purchased a SewEze table for this year. Chair will be purchased, also. The facilities were perfect for our event, but the tables and chairs were not, especially for short people.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM

At the ones I go to, we play games, swap fat quarters, that sort of thing. Then someone cut up a watermelon, threw it in a blender with ice and vodka and we had adult slurpees!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM

I go to quilt retreats a couple of times a year. I belong to a guild and they are asked first, then a night guild here in town is invited, then folks who have gone before with us and then we invite others if we don't have enough. When we first started going we would have to beat the bushes to get the minimum of 20 now we have to limit it to 30 attending.

We have had a couple that didn't enjoy it but the rest of us love it. We work on our own projects, laugh a whole lot, eat until we each gain a few pounds, laugh some more and just enjoy being together. We share rooms but get to choose who is in our room for the most part. There are four to five twin size beds in each room. The food is amazing. It is provided. The sewing is done in a large room where each of us have two 24" x 48" tables. There are larger tables for cutting and ironing provided. You can have a smaller cutting mat and ironing station at your table. You can bring an additional table and your chair if you want.

The first time we went we looked like a scene from "The Grapes of Wrath" when the Joad Family loaded up to leave Oklahoma and headed to California. Now we have been often enough to take what we need and not a whole lot more. The retreat we go to has a small fabric store and we can get what we might have forgotten. We wear our pjs all day if we want or dress the way you would at home. We have some that put on makeup and look wonderful then we have those of us who are just way too comfy. I highly recommend the one we go to. The facility is beautiful. The food is prepared by a real chef and her team. The beds are comfortable and each room has a bath attached. The outdoor area is comfortable and inviting. Can't say enough good about it. In fact I am going in March and again in April...did I mention I really have a great time?