Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a problem!!  Any suggestions??? >

What a problem!! Any suggestions???

What a problem!! Any suggestions???

Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 PM

Cute quilt. It does look more like a worn area rather than a dog chewed it. Anyway, I agree with trying to match the color with a Kona solid and applique it on. I had a quilt that my kids loved and fought over and after 25 years it disintegrated. No amount of patching or applique could save it. "Quilty" died. It had a blanket inside it for the batting and was made when old clothes and other scraps were used for the piecing on top, so it was worn more in some spots than in others. I kept patching it and finally gave up. It was a well loved quilty and had been washed so many times it was just shredded. Show us a picture when you get yours finished.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:37 PM

I love QuiltnNan's suggestion of a fish applique over the damaged area.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM

I have no problem with a quilt being loved and used to death, but I have had two quilts chewed by the recipients' dogs. I know dog lovers will tolerate a lot from their pets, but I have to say that it really made me sad to think that all my work was lost because of a dog. The owners loved their quilts, and they probably felt worse than I did, but it was their choice to have a pet, not mine. I know you give a quilt because you love someone, and then you let it go, but it still makes me sad.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:54 PM

1930's reproductions solids are available in several shades of pink. On my monitor, it looks as if one of those would work for you.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jeanne S;6837170]My thought was the same as ManiacQuilter--appliqué over the damaged area with the best matching pink you can find, then do a little hand quilting over it In

This is exactly what I would do.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM
Power Poster

As long as this is a quilt that is being used, I would just put a patch over the damaged area and call it good enough.

I would also check the rrst of the quilt for weak sppts and do prrvrntice msintensnve on them.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 AM

I would make a label (I know on the front?) and cover the damage. And tell the niece to train her dog, or put the quilt up higher.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:25 AM

I have some old, patched quilts from my gran and the patches are NOT subtle - she'd just use the kid's boyscout badges or any other "patch" laying around. To me, those patches are super-cool and just another layer in the quilt's story, I'm glad she didn't hide the patches.

I'd be tempted, in this case, to use this spot for a quilt label. Put down what you know about the quilt's history, then add who it was patched by and when, and list who is now using/owning the quilt.

I doubt any future generation would feel this ruined the quilt.

OR, if you really want to keep the front as original as possible, put a label on the back to replace whatever you borrow for the front.

Either way, the patching is only going to make the quilt more interesting and beloved, at least it would for ME!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 AM

beautiful quilt, sorry for the damage
Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Is the backing done in the pink with enough to redo the back so you can fix the front?