Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What IS PUL fabric and how easy is it to use? >

What IS PUL fabric and how easy is it to use?

What IS PUL fabric and how easy is it to use?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:12 PM

I made my daughter a beach quilt used PUL for the backing and made corner pockets with the PUL also to put sand in the weigh down the quilt wish I could figure out how to post pictures, it turned out cute for a beginner. She loves polka dots so thats what it mostly is & I made a lined beach bag to match it.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I made my daughter a beach quilt used PUL for the backing and made corner pockets with the PUL also to put sand in the weigh down the quilt wish I could figure out how to post pictures, it turned out cute for a beginner. She loves polka dots so thats what it mostly is & I made a lined beach bag to match it.
Great idea!

I used PUL for a changing pad that my son could keep in his car for when the babies are with him--flames on the outside. Check Walmart--I found it for about 1/2 the price as JF. (not as many prints)
I've also used for bibs and works great
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 AM

Jan, I guess you have the idea by now but I googled it.
Description: PUL is a polyester/polyurethane laminated knit fabric with a laminate thickness of 1.33mm. This fabric is waterproof, durable and has a slight crossgrain stretch. This product can be used in making diapers, changing mattress covers and applications that require waterproof fabric.
You have probably seen it. Its what the raincoats are made of.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 AM

Thanks for all the good info on PUL fabric,
Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 AM

I used it recently for a diaper changing pad plus a pouch that could hold wet clothes. I bought mine at Joann's. A little tricky to sew on the plastic side; I had to put the walking foot on. Teflon foot would probably work too but I don't have one.

It's really not a bad texture. Much more skin friendly than laminated cottons (won't stick to you). One side is more plasticky, the other side is a soft knit, but even the plasticky side isn't too bad.

After I washed my pouch I filled it with water to test how waterproof it was...it held water like a jug. I was surprised, I expected some seepage but it held water as long as I was willing to stand there holding it (it was probably about a half-gallon of water in there...my arm got tired!). So the Joann's kind must be the kind that seals up in the washer/dryer.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Had never heard of it until now, but it sounds interesting and I plan to try it soon for sandwich bags and gift items.